A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 11-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Disagree with my team...

My team met with our P today, regarding how we're running our intervention time. I agree with my P on how it should be run, but my team disagrees with us. I meet with my team tomorrow (without my P). I'm nervous about how it is going to go.

I wish teachers weren't so difficult to work with. I really like my team, but we have our disagreements. I've always wondered if it's a teacher thing-are teachers typically difficult to work with, or do all professions tend to have issues getting along? It seems like we have such strong opinions and we're all pretty stubborn! It has been this way with every team I have worked with. I consider myself a very easy-going person, but maybe I'm the difficult one.

Wish me luck tomorrow!

Old 11-07-2012, 04:05 AM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Yeah, I think most teams probably have their disagreements. I think the one I'm on now has been working together so long, we just know when to compromise. But I have worked on other teams where people would just draw the line and that was it...this is the way we're doing it. It's frustrating.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
All teams have their disagreements. Hopefully the meeting yesterday with the P helped to move all of you in the right direction.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Companion

Texas
9th Grade World Geography
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
My team met with our P today, regarding how we're running our intervention time. I agree with my P on how it should be run, but my team disagrees with us. I meet with my team tomorrow (without my P). I'm nervous about how it is going to go.

I wish teachers weren't so difficult to work with. I really like my team, but we have our disagreements. I've always wondered if it's a teacher thing-are teachers typically difficult to work with, or do all professions tend to have issues getting along? It seems like we have such strong opinions and we're all pretty stubborn! It has been this way with every team I have worked with. I consider myself a very easy-going person, but maybe I'm the difficult one.

Wish me luck tomorrow!
You seem to be pretty good at being assertive. You'll be fine. I have met some teachers that take disagreements very personally; they are tremendously difficult to deal with. Some retreat at the first sign of disagreement, mistakenly believing that all conflict is bad. They are impossible to deal with because you have to guess what they want. Some, though, are confident enough in their own skills that they don't mind discussing ideas and weighing options. I think one key is to follow Stephen Covey's advice: Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Showing people that you are truly trying to understand their POV is a sure-fire way to get them to respect your input.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:10 AM
Novice

Maryland
4th Grade Teacher
It would be a true heaven if all members of a team (in education or not) could agree all the time! Unfortunately, that doesn't happen in the real world. Compromise is usually the way to go. However, dissension can be a time for a learning on your part if you examine your motives and evaluate the outcome in terms of the original goal. Years ago I worked with a team that was pretty self-centered, and it was painful. I found myself giving in and compromising far more than I would have liked. Was it a good year for our students? In my eyes, it wasn't. One lesson that was driven home to me that year was that we exist to serve the children, and their interests MUST always come first. Sometimes a few teachers forget that simple reality.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Groupie

Costa Rica
Science
I think a little disagreement is good for the soul. As long as it's discussed in a civilized manner. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Disagreements are definitely normal. I am anxious to hear how it went.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
I think a little disagreement is good for the soul. As long as it's discussed in a civilized manner. Good luck!
We have been pretty civil, but there have been tears this year (not from me). I have shed tears over situations with teams in the past, though.

It went pretty well this morning. Two of them are starting to see the positives of what I was suggesting, and I made it known that I was more than willing to try it the way they want to do it. I think they're disappointed that I agreed with my P, though. We usually complain about things together, but this time I was in agreement.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I'm glad the meeting went pretty well! Keep your fingers crossed that things are changing in the right direction.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Fanatic

Northwest
Preschool Teacher
I've noticed that teachers can be difficult when compromise is needed - I've seen this trend over many years in non-school settings.

I think it is because we are used to being in charge, are expected to be in charge; teachers usually have to be able to cut to the heart of a matter, make a decision, and act quickly. These are great qualities, but don't always help in team decision making.

And I include myself in this group. When I am working with a team in the community, at school, or at church, I have to force myself to take off the teacher hat and listen and compromise.

If only teachers ran the world, wouldn't it be a better place????? (If everyone would just be quiet and do what we KNOW is right. )

Tags
disagree, team