A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > High School

Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Comrade

son accused of hacking LONG

Ok I m an elementary teacher with a son who is in high school. He has been accused of hijacking and changing an admin password.(there is another student who is also being accused) Keep in mind the school has not talked to myself or my husband at all. My son states that he did not hack anything. I know kids lie but the schools only proof is that he was signed in on that computer around the same time. Dont forget they're not sure who did it. First off, if you were going to hack, would you sign in?? Second, how can you accuse someone because they were logged in around the time it happen?? I guess if there is a crime and you happen to be on the same block as the crime then you must have done it?? This whole thing has got me angry. What happen to innocent until proven guilty? The fact they had him sit in a room for 6 hours to write down his account of the story and then no one talked to him. Sounds like an in school suspension to me? Shouldn't I have been contacted? They are thinking of suspending him from school and when he returns, he will no longer be allowed on the computers. HMMM? His career field is computers, what will he do for the rest of the year? Let me know what you all think

Old 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
Oh man does this bring me back to my high school days . We had a 1:1 program and the students always seemed to be two steps ahead of Laptop Central.

Anyway, if he was signed in on the same computer around the same time, then yes, there's a chance he did it. A pretty good chance actually.

Depending on how the system works, you might HAVE to sign in to even access ANYTHING. Hacking doesn't happen out of thin air... there are procedures that have to be followed to get to the exploits.

You saying this being like being on the same block as a crime is sort of inaccurate. If he was simply in the same computer lab as the computer that did the hacking, that would be a little more accurate.

I think you need to get their full story, as well as your son's. When I was in high school, the computers tracked our every move. Hopefully yours do too.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Is your son 18 yet? My sister had some issues with my niece and the school claimed that they couldn't contact her without her daughter's permission because she was 18...Not sure how true this is though.

I would definitely be heading into that school tomorrow morning to talk with the principal. I think that a 6 hour writing down account is just too long and should count as part of a punishment. I would want to hear what the principal has to say and hear their proof. After that I would make my decision of where to contact next.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTeachesMath View Post
Oh man does this bring me back to my high school days . We had a 1:1 program and the students always seemed to be two steps ahead of Laptop Central.

Anyway, if he was signed in on the same computer around the same time, then yes, there's a chance he did it. A pretty good chance actually.

Depending on how the system works, you might HAVE to sign in to even access ANYTHING. Hacking doesn't happen out of thin air... there are procedures that have to be followed to get to the exploits.

You saying this being like being on the same block as a crime is sort of inaccurate. If he was simply in the same computer lab as the computer that did the hacking, that would be a little more accurate.

I think you need to get their full story, as well as your son's. When I was in high school, the computers tracked our every move. Hopefully yours do too.
I can't wait to get the full story. I will be calling the school tomorrow. If its as clear cut as you say... Why are they accusing another student? They don't know who did it. My son did find out that the new password that was created was the same as the student IT' s user name. Weird! That student was on that computer too. My son may have done it, I'm not one of those parents, but there are other people who were on the computer too, "around"the same time. Too many variables to pin it on one kid. They better have concrete proof if they want to suspend him. That will go on his perm. Record which may hurt his chances for college. They better be **** sure.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Guru

If he was one of only two students logged in that particular computer at the time this all went down, then it sure seems like one of two probably did it.

I'd have a SERIOUS talk with my son. Then contact the school.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Devotee

New York
HS Mathematics, Performing Arts
If he logged in under his account, and then let his friend do the hacking, he was still an accessory. He could try to plea ignorance but that depends on what he's told them.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post
Too many variables to pin it on one kid.
But they're not. They have narrowed it down to two likely offenders. Again, I'd have a come to Jesus moment with my child.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
Is your son 18 yet? My sister had some issues with my niece and the school claimed that they couldn't contact her without her daughter's permission because she was 18...Not sure how true this is though.

I would definitely be heading into that school tomorrow morning to talk with the principal. I think that a 6 hour writing down account is just too long and should count as part of a punishment. I would want to hear what the principal has to say and hear their proof. After that I would make my decision of where to contact next.
He is not 18. I thought of that when I was trying to figure out why I haven't been contacted yet. By the way.. The hacking happen over a month ago. It's just now coming to light, I don't know why. Also nothing got stolen or manipulated. I just want answers.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
But they're not. They have narrowed it down to two likely offenders. Again, I'd have a come to Jesus moment with my child.
We have had that moment. If its down to 2 then do you suspend them both because you can't figure it out? Knowing one of them didn't do it? There is going to be 3 kids who are suspect by tomorrow. See pure crazy.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTeachesMath View Post
If he logged in under his account, and then let his friend do the hacking, he was still an accessory. He could try to plea ignorance but that depends on what he's told them.
Sorry they were logged on at different times. Not being held as accessory but a second prospective suspect.

Tags
accused, hacking, long, son