A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Groupie

NJ
Got the official word: All of spring break is canceled :(

I know I should be happy everyone is safe and all that (and I am!), but we just got word that spring break in April is canceled entirely due to having 2 weeks off for the storm. February break is also cancelled. That's going to be very hard on the kids (and yes, me too!) going from January until the end of the year (June 28) with the only two breaks being one day for MLK Day and one for Memorial Day. Eek!

Old 11-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
We are almost always in that position due to snow days. It really stinks, even though we are used to it by now. We also have to add days to the end of the school year, add 30 minutes to each school day, and even go on Saturdays.

We whine and complain and act worse than the kids, but its never as bad as we think it is going to be. We make sure to plan some fun activities here and there because it is a very long stretch with no breaks. The teachers will need breaks, too.

Definitely feel for you. Maybe you'll get some days forgiven along the way, so you can get some days back.

Hang in there!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Oh my! It will definitely be a long road, but you will get through it. I know when we had used some emergency days, the state forgave them because they were deemed a state of emergency day for the entire area.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
WOW!!!! We had an ice storm when I was a senior in high school. We were out of school for two weeks without power, etc. We finally went back and they were trying to decide how to make up the lost time. (add an hour to the end of school days, extend the year, Saturday school, etc) In the end, they didn't do anything. We just missed two weeks of school and that was it. I wonder if that's even legal...
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Groupie

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybelle View Post
WOW!!!! We had an ice storm when I was a senior in high school. We were out of school for two weeks without power, etc. We finally went back and they were trying to decide how to make up the lost time. (add an hour to the end of school days, extend the year, Saturday school, etc) In the end, they didn't do anything. We just missed two weeks of school and that was it. I wonder if that's even legal...
That's what I (and I'm sure most of the kids) was hoping for. I've heard rumors that the state can decide to let us just miss them without making them up.

I could definitely go an extra 30 min each day...not sure how I'd feel about the Saturday thing though...just wishing I had been more productive with all of this time off since I've had power for all but 1 of the days.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Companion

NY
High School Teacher
We are an independent school, so we do not have to make up the time, but we are considering adding a week on at the end of the year. Probably depends on if we have off tomorrow - already got called about a delay!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
Yikes! I know I wouldn't like it if it were happening to me. But in my area of mild weather, we never lose days due to the weather.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. I View Post
Yikes! I know I wouldn't like it if it were happening to me. But in my area of mild weather, we never lose days due to the weather.
We've not lost this kind of time this early in the year in anyone's memory, Ms I. The hurricane virtually wiped some schools out, flooded others. Many students in some districts no longer have homes. Many districts build in a few snow days and adding one or two days to the end of the school year generally isn't a problem. Two weeks of missed school, however, is impactful..this wasn't our 'usual' weather as our Octobers are usually mild....and NONE of us imagined it happening here either.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Phenom

Midwest
I would hope the state would help you all out....
I know when I was a Sr. we had a ton of snow days (really they were the temps were too low for kids to stand and wait for the bus and snow days). They didn't know if the Srs would get out early like they do... We ended up getting out, but I think the state gave some leeway to the schools for the make up days...
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
In California we've certainly lost days due to fire.

Tags
break, canceled, official, spring, word