A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 08-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Groupie

NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrin5 View Post
Is it weird that I don't give a participation grade? We have a separate citizenship grade, and I think that covers that.
Not weird at all. I don't give one either, and we DON'T have a citizenship grade. I feel things like participation grades only help to inflate grades. I barely like giving a "good boy-good girl" grade for completing HW, but I do it because I'm required.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathemagician View Post
Not weird at all. I don't give one either, and we DON'T have a citizenship grade. I feel things like participation grades only help to inflate grades. I barely like giving a "good boy-good girl" grade for completing HW, but I do it because I'm required.
I also don't like participation grades in high school. If the grade is completely based on discussion, I would be more ok with it but still wouldn't like it too much because of the quiet kids. (Maybe I'm still bitter that I had a 90 average in my US History class but was bumped down to an 89 for not participating. ) But I understand that some courses require discussion so it makes sense. I really don't like participation grades that reward things like coming to class on time, having all of your materials, listening when your classmates speak, staying on task, etc. These are all aspects of participation, but I feel like they should all be expected, not graded at the high school level.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Sorry if this deviates from the main subject of the thread.

I am going to use discussion points this year. At first I was somewhat dissuaded by the argument that it "subjective" and therefore inappropriate and that it only promotes conversation for the sake of conversation. With regards to subjectivity, I realized grading itself is inherently subjective. All the rubrics in the world do not erase that, despite our best efforts. We grade a piece of writing and we invariably make subjective judgments about it. If we administer any kind of test that goes beyond multiple guess or true/false, we engage in some subjectivity. With regards to "conversation for the sake of conversation," I've spelled out the criteria for assessing the quality of discussion: Relevance, accuracy, depth, completeness and clarity. I have also set up online forums in which they can earn some discussion points via written discussion for those students who are more reluctant to speak in class. I believe being able to discuss content orally and in writing demonstrates understanding. I have made the judgment that, within the 1:1 laptop classroom, placing a grade upon discussion is a necessity. No matter how provocative or relevant your discussion questions, the temptation of the net is too great for students. They need a greater impetus to stay tuned into the discussion. Even in our staff meetings, we cannot keep teachers off their IPads or from texting on their phones. And we expect 16 year-olds to be able to resist those temptations?

Tags
breakdown, grade