A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
My aunt was a hoarder. When I was younger, she lived in a sort of "apartment" set up in the basement of our house (my grandparents built the house). I was always afraid to go down there. When we moved to our own house, she got that entire house and she completely ruined it. My grandparents went once a year to clean everything out- I never really understood why they kept doing it for her knowing she was just going to go back to piling everything up again immediately. She had a cat and when I was little I used to sneak and clean up the cat's things because it was so sad how dirty his food and water things were.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
That show baffles me every time. I am a "thrower" who hates clutter (I would say that I am borderline OCD). I have such a difficult time understanding why someone would keep so much stuff-especially the people who keep all of their garbage!

I saw an Oprah episode maybe 5 years ago, where she worked closely with a hoarder. When the lady was finally ok with getting rid of things, they sold tons of her stuff. It took up 2 very large warehouses. I couldn't believe how much junk she had when it was all spread out!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 2 Other Jobs
There's no hoarders that I know of. I watch an episode here & there.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
We know a hoarder, and nominated her for the show. The TV people called her, but she refused to be on the show.

So, it sounds as if they are seeking hoarders.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
One of my neighbors seems to be a hoarder. There are two small houses. One is completely filled with stuff. The other one is where she lives. There is a lot of stuff piled on the porch and around the house. I can see stuff piled in front of one of the windows. There are a bunch of cats that live outside, and she has a couple of dogs inside. She used to have an outside dog, but it died a few years ago. It was really old when I moved here 12 years ago. She hardly ever leaves her house either.

Tags
alive, buried, hoarding