A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Companion

NYC
Preschool Teacher
organization binder for teachers

I am DETERMINED to get more organized this year! I would love to create an organization binder similar to these:

http://funforfirst.blogspot.com/2012...-notebook.html
http://www.kindergartenworks.com/201...er-basics.html

what kind of sections would you put in if you were making one of these? i teach preschool, so i am thinking so far: monthly calendar, class list/contact info, to do, lesson plans, and meeting notes. i also wonder what to write on the monthly calendar...birthdays, classroom/school events?

seems like a silly question but i am going into my third year and am sick of feeling disorganized/not prepared. new school, new leaf, right?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Maven

USA
3rd Grade Teacher
I currently have three organizational binders (all D-ring for strength).

The first is white, and is my "Student Information Binder." In it, I have extra copies of all forms I need parents to fill out, as well as a few referral forms. Each student in my class is given a number, and I have dividers with the numbers 1-25, so each student has his/her own section. In each student's section is a completed student information form (mine), a completed district handbook signature sheet (required), a completed school student information form (doesn't have near as much as I need), a completed photo/video permission slip, any correspondence between the student, parents, and myself, SPED or SBLC (our SPED referral process) forms, and (hopefully not) any referral forms earned by that student.

The second is blue, and is my "Reading Pensieve" (yes, I took that from "the sisters."). Again, each student has a numbered section. In the front are a monthly calendar on which I plan to list and schedule conferences for Reading, ELA, and Writing. I will have my small group lesson plans in here as well. Each section will hold record of that student's conferences, progress monitoring (DIBELS), etc.

The third is red, and is my "Math Pensieve." It will pretty much be a duplicate of the reading binder, only with math information. The student sections will hold copies of Universal Screening tests/progress monitoring (Aimsweb) as well as conference information and possibly work samples.

Hope this helps!

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
― Dr. Seuss
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

California
Preschool/Adult School Teacher
Switching to binders saved my sanity. I work in several different types of programs (2 preschool classes, adult school and K-3) and need all the help I can get.

I have one general one I carry around all the time. For the preschool I have:

-Some inspiration posters I have found on pinterest, etc. I printed so I can look at them when I have a rough day. They are in the front so I smile every time I look at my binder - sorry if that sounds corny but it works.

-Inserts that have pockets I can stuff extra papers in of stuff I have printed at home and need to copy, deliver, etc.

-Calendars - school year calendar, my calendar by semester that I use for lone-range planning, etc. Monthly calendars - sometimes I skip these and just use the semester ones but it helps to combine the dates from all 3 schools.

-General info - phone numbers, addresses, important memos from admin. I know most people just put contact info. in the phone but I don't always have my phone, or it isn't charged or.... Personal stuff can go here.

-Student lists, contact information for families so I can make calls from home or wherever.

-Lesson plans - I use my own form - don't like the books.

-Syllabus for each class I teach, pacing guide I made up, etc.

-State standards and resource lists I have made for myself (sensory ideas, alphabet ideas, math ideas, name ideas,science ideas etc.) which help me with planning.

-Assessment section - copy of the report card, copy of what I plan to put in the portfolios, copy of labels I use to keep track (but most is in an assessment binder - this is just to help with planning.)

-Extra paper to write notes, ideas, etc.

-Place for pens, pencils, etc.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

California
I just wanted to add some of the other tips that have helped me:

I have a folder of all the beginning of the year stuff I do with checklists and originals so I have everything in one place and don't have to think too hard or miss something accidentally.

Same with end-of-year stuff - keeps me organized when I need to keep my act together after a long year to help me end strong.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Habitué

Bay Area, California
4th Grade Teacher
Kind of a silly question: what size binder do you usually use? 1"? 1.5"?
Old 08-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Enthusiast

A little off center
Montessori & Orton Gillingham tutor
I have a 2 inch binder that I use for my organizational stuff. I used this calendar last year:

http://www.montessoriforeveryone.com...endar_2011.pdf

and put it in the front to write everything on. Then I had sectiond behind it for each curricular area I needed, and a general information file at the end.

I keep parent contact stuff in a separate binder.

I also used dividers that had pockets in them so I could slide something in the pocket until I had a chance to punch holes in it and stick it in the right space. That way I didn't have random papers stuck in the binder.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

California
I think mine is 2 inches.

TeachersPayTeachers and pinterest have had several good options lately but do what works for you and your particular situation.

I think my issue is I always start the year great but it is hard to stay that organized all year long. Any hints for that?
Old 08-04-2012, 08:33 AM
Habitué

Bay Area, California
4th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by scmom View Post
I think mine is 2 inches.

TeachersPayTeachers and pinterest have had several good options lately but do what works for you and your particular situation.

I think my issue is I always start the year great but it is hard to stay that organized all year long. Any hints for that?
(Thanks to you both for providing the size of your binders. )

Scmom, I share that same issue. I have good intentions but then it seems to wane. I'm a very organized person by nature, but for some reason the whole binder thing doesn't seem to work with me! (Although I really want it to! LOL)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwhatley View Post

The first is white, and is my "Student Information Binder." In it, I have extra copies of all forms I need parents to fill out, as well as a few referral forms. Each student in my class is given a number, and I have dividers with the numbers 1-25, so each student has his/her own section. In each student's section is a completed student information form (mine), a completed district handbook signature sheet (required), a completed school student information form (doesn't have near as much as I need), a completed photo/video permission slip, any correspondence between the student, parents, and myself, SPED or SBLC (our SPED referral process) forms, and (hopefully not) any referral forms earned by that student.
I do this - I think I actually got the idea from pwhatley last year! It saved me! I also put my assessments in each child's section. That way when I go to do report cards, everything is in one binder from behavior documentation to parent contact to assessment.

I also keep a bind for my Early Literacy data. We are required to do Marie Clay's Observation Survey three times a year on our grade 1 students. That means a lot of paper!! So I have a binder for that - each student has a section.

I keep a third binder with all of my information. So it has my daily lesson plans, staff meeting notes, school calendars, PD information and any request for leave forms.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:22 AM
Companion

NYC
Preschool Teacher
these are all great ideas. the problem is that i'll be in a new school so i'm not exactly sure what forms/assessments they require of us. if there are several assessment forms, i like the idea of using a student binder. i may have to change my plans once i see what kind of programs they use.

Tags
binder, organization, teachers