A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Archives (Read-Only) > Archives > General Archives > Elementary Education Archives

Old 02-18-2006, 01:55 PM
Companion

Ohio
1st Grade Teacher
The students that refuse to participate....

This is long...

I am doing some field experience in a Kindergarten classroom this quarter. I attend the classroom once a week. I help out in the morning with the centers. I have the freedom to develop my own lesson and activities to go along with the standards and my requirements for college.

I have noticed that there are usually 3-4 students that ABSOLUTELY refuse to do the work/or listen. It isn't just with me they usually do the same thing with the aide and the teacher, but definitely more so with me.

Last class I was doing an activity and the little guy turned his back to me and started writing on the chalkboard. I moved his seat and placed him closer to me, but he was all by himself, b/c before he started writing on the chalk board, he was really messing with the other kids. I tried to get him involved in the activity - but he just shoved everything off the desk. I turned around and started working with the rest of the 6 children. The little guy just sat and stared at his desk and then started scooting his chair around like a car. Finally, the teacher yelled at him - and he moved to her group-he sat on her lap for a while - then at another table alone.

I had no idea what to do - I was thinking, this is probably bad - but I'm learning and asking for help - If I spend all my time on this one little guy - I'm not doing anything for the 6 that CARE and WANT to learn......

So, I guess, is this normal...Like I said before, every week, there is USUALLY 3/4 kids that just plain and simple won't do the activity.

What should I have done - and what should I do in the future....

Thanks,
Ashley

Old 02-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Fanatic

Indiana
College writing, hands-on science
Focus on one child and ignore the others? Unthinkable.

Students who choose not to work? They fail.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Habitué

Central IN
1st Grade Teacher
Have you asked him why he does not want to participate?
Old 02-18-2006, 04:18 PM
Companion

Ohio
1st Grade Teacher
Yeah, I have asked him why - he just says that he doesn't WANT to do it......
Old 02-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Companion

Ohio
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlr
Have you asked him why he does not want to participate?

Yeah, I have asked him why - he just says that he doesn't WANT to do it......
Old 02-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Habitué

Don't give up on him. Continue to encourage him to join your group but don't make him the center of your attention. I had a little one that did that and it took her a while before she felt comfortable enough to join us.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Companion

I would try tapping into something he likes. If he has animals on his lunch box...try using an animal book to teach the skill.
I think the classroom teacher should have a talk with him about always doing his best. We all need to do things we don't like, but they have to get done!
As like with all problems, there needs to be a consequence. If he doesn't do his work with you, then he loses soemthing else, like doing an arts and crafts project or playing a game.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:58 PM
Comrade

Pisgah Forest North Carolina
If he's like this with his own teacher you may want to ask her advice, after all, she would be with him the most. Tell her you are concerned about not getting him to participate and ask if she has any suggestions that might help you get him to tune in with the others. He may have a type of learning difficulty or just may be in to "testing" people.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Cohort

TN
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyBest
If he's like this with his own teacher you may want to ask her advice, after all, she would be with him the most. Tell her you are concerned about not getting him to participate and ask if she has any suggestions that might help you get him to tune in with the others. He may have a type of learning difficulty or just may be in to "testing" people.
That's true. This is your time to learn everything you can so ask the teacher what she does with him. There WILL be kids that refuse to participate. Some of them just need to be left alone and they will come around. Some of them just need a modified amount placed before them. An overwhelmed child will shut down. Sometimes they just need your hand on their shoulder or something important to hold and they will be on task. You really want a chance to practice these things before the classroom is all yours.

Tags
participate, refuse, students