A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Habitué

2/3 Split
For the cards-

The first time is in pencil. Then they go over in Sharpie. It gives me a chance to ask them to make a letter neater, add spaces, etc.

I have a laminated card on which I write the sample. It helps kids with spacing and spelling. I just reuse.

We discuss picture ideas ahead of time- brainstorm as a class as to what conveys the idea the best. Final choice to the student making the card.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherpippi View Post
For the cards-

The first time is in pencil. Then they go over in Sharpie. It gives me a chance to ask them to make a letter neater, add spaces, etc.

I have a laminated card on which I write the sample. It helps kids with spacing and spelling. I just reuse.

We discuss picture ideas ahead of time- brainstorm as a class as to what conveys the idea the best. Final choice to the student making the card.
I love the laminated card idea! I have 2 CAFE menus, so I usually write the words on one card with a yellow highlighter, and they trace over it. The other one they write on their own.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Fanatic

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
Okay, I'm thinking about doing the daily 5/cafe next year. It seems like what I'm already doing, just structured in a different way. When my students wrote about what they learned in reading this year, they didn't understand the different between the strategies used for accuracy/comprehension/fluency... I know they knew the strategies but they didn't know the difference. I think this will help.

Have you guys seen this blog? I like the CRAFT idea a lot.
http://www.ladybugsteacherfiles.com/...-download.html
My school is doing this for professional development next year, but not until October, so I'd like to get a head start. Which book out of the two do you recommend?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
I have never seen the CRAFT idea...I kind of like it! The only thing I don't like, for myself personally, is that she took the vocabulary element out. She did so because it is covered in her ELL newcomer class. That makes sense, but I think it is a very important category for most classrooms. For my higher readers, vocabulary is one of their biggest struggles, and having strategies to determine meaning is essential. I don't like the pre-made cards, though...They are very "pretty," but the sisters suggest students make the cards.

If you had to purchase only one of the two books, I would suggest Daily 5. The organization/management of the tasks is a crucial piece!
Old 05-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
We started Daily 5 in school this year and I am looping up with my class so it will be easier to get going this year.

I'm going to implement Daily 5 Math this year. I think it will give my students more practice with skills they are weak in. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by swansong1 View Post
I'm going to implement Daily 5 Math this year. I think it will give my students more practice with skills they are weak in. Anyone have experience with this?
I want to try Daily 5 math next year. I haven't looked into it too much yet, though.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
Swan...you will notice that their stamina grows quicker because they had it before.

I too am looking into the Daiky 5 math. My school is pretty set on how we teach math so I am curious how it will fit in. But then again, I was hesitant withe Daily 5 at first too and now could not do without it.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Phenom

Disney country
Back in the saddle again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitt View Post
Swan...you will notice that their stamina grows quicker because they had it before.

I too am looking into the Daiky 5 math. My school is pretty set on how we teach math so I am curious how it will fit in. But then again, I was hesitant withe Daily 5 at first too and now could not do without it.
As a team, we teach the same topics in math at the same time, but I am free to teach them any way I want. I thought Daily 5 might give my students a change of pace from how we did math this year.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Virtuoso

Mexico
1st grade teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
I want to try Daily 5 math next year. I haven't looked into it too much yet, though.
Daily 5 math? I hadn't heard of that. I'm interested.

Tags
cafe, daily, suggestions