A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Subjects > Art Teachers

Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Rookie

SC, USA
Kinder ASL w. BGC of America
How would you go about teaching this?

Hello! I'm looking for fun things to do with my 1st grade group. I found something that could be super fun for them:

http://elemvisualarts.blogspot.com/2...s-are.html?m=0

It's kind of an elementary school landscape architecture lesson. I have 40 mins with them each day and I could possibly get an hour to 90 mins on Friday. So we don't have too much time together which is why I'm sure this would be a multiple day project.

Here's what I was thinking:
*make my own example or print out pictures from the link above.

Day one: show model/pictures and discuss architecture and the whole idea of the project. Have them broken up into groups and discuss what they would like to make. (beach, dream house, school, etc). Then have them make blueprints on their ideas.

Day two: if blue prints didn't happen on day one do it on day two. Then have them draw out in color pencil an idea in color. Then have the group either choose the best one or make a combined blueprint from all of their ideas.

Day three: start with 3d models with all groups or break into smaller groups over the period of a few days.

Any ideas? How does that sound? Anything you guys might do differently?

Thank you!

Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 AM
Comrade

Michigan
Art Teacher - K-5
I would show those pictures on the link, but not leave them out after the discussion. If you show your own example or leave those pictures out, the students might just copy. I would do a small demonstration on how to use the materials. Otherwise your plan looks good, the only possible problem is that they are in groups, but I think that's a positive thing. You will need to facilitate equal participation from everyone, so you might come up with a role for everyone in the group. Like planner, architect (for the buildings) landscape architect.

It sounds fun! Good luck
Old 05-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Rookie

SC, USA
Kinder ASL w. BGC of America
Love that idea of jobs for everyone! Thank you!

Tags
teaching