A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Third Grade

Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Novice

Wisconsin
Story problem based

For next school year, I am going to completely change the way I teach math. I'm going to take a more story problem solving based approach to math to incorporate more real world scenarios, and I'd also like to effectively utilize math journals as well. Before I begin reworking my approach to fit this methodology, can anyone share their experiences or advice about this approach? Thanks

Old 04-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Habitué

Substitute Teacher
I'm sure you have more experience than me, but her's my two cents: A big thing at my last school was constructed responses. I think we tried to do one graded and at least one practice CR a week on whatever we were studying. The practice would be an easier version of the one they were graded on, but the same skill. Do you know about constructed response? It was new to me at the time. Basically, you give a scenario or story problem, they have to write an equation and show the answer and a picture or diagram to explain/get the answer, and then explain their process in words. It becomes really clear which kids understand the concept thoroughly and which do not.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Companion

USA
Primary Elementary Teacher
an added resource

When you do start next year, I suggest this site because it has many mystery/math based stories for your kids to solve. I especially like it for group work because the kids spin ideas off of each other in trying to solve a problem.
http://teacher.scholastic.com/maven/index.htm
Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Phenom

Texas
Kindergarten Teacher
Have you heard of Examplars? I did some student teaching in a school that used it and it was really awesome. We use exemplars problems now as an extra problem solving QOTD in kindergarten and model different problem solving skills.

http://www.exemplars.com/education-m...mples/math-3-5

Tags
based, problem, story