A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Grammar Lesson

I'm developing a unit of study on the novel 1984 for my "fictional" class. My professor wants us to create at least 5 lessons in this unit: Reading Comprehension, Vocabulary, Writing, Grammar, Cooperative learning/listening and speaking.

Considering 1984 is a pretty advanced novel, my "fictional" class is an advanced 12th grade literature class. I'm wondering what type of grammar lesson I could teach that group of students. Is teaching mla/apa citations considered grammar?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
Middle/High School English
I've worked a lot on parallel structure with my seniors this year. They still really struggle with that (and apostrophes but that's another story...)
Old 05-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast

SoCal
High School English Teacher
1984 is a novel I do with my regular college prep seniors--not so much advanced! Citations aren't grammar, they're...citations. For grammar, you might take something to do with sentence structure, like appositive phrases, and have students practice writing sentences about the novel: "Winston, a worker in the Records Department, secretly writes in a journal." Have them use the vocab as well and get a bigger bang for your buck.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Groupie

SoCal
High School English
Great.. thank you!

Other suggestions welcome.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Habitué

New England
High School English and Philosophy
Reading Comprehension: Reading quizzes for the painfully obvious reasons w/ a snappy l'il essay for that higher level jazz; expectations re paper/essay test at end of unit.

Vocabulary: Assign various sections of book to various students. They gather words, define them, and gather usage notes re words. You quiz by their writing sentences related to 1984 using word idiomatically (see Comprehension).

Writing: Well, by golly, they write a paper and/or in-class essay and/or essay test on themes, symbols et al.

Grammar:Phew. Hmmm. Maybe have them gather three or four each snappy adjectives, vivacious nouns, philoprogenitive (couldn't resist: teaching Eliot) verbs, etc. Then include the whole batch in a paragraph about ... the book! Quiz grade. See various headings above. Share 'em (see area below), and grade 'em.

Cooperative learning/listening and speaking: OK. Divide 'em in groups, give a task to each group (based on where you are in the process of teaching the book). Have them report out. Make the others listen, perhaps by devising some assessment, perhaps not. Grade the presentations.

Ta dah. Old-fashioned or time-tested: who knows?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Companion

IL
High School Teacher
Grammar:
When breaking the rules is allowed
Commas (I feel like students ALWAYS have trouble with commas!)
Pronoun agreement
Dangling modifiers
Active vs. Passive voice
Adverbs
Confusing words, a while/awhile, less/fewer, a lot/alot, As/like, healthy/healthful

Since its for an advanced literature class, another idea would be for them to practice breaking looooong sentences into two sentences,or practicing "less is more"... Being concise. I feel like many honors students write lengthy, complicated sentences because they sound advanced... But sometimes can be hard to follow.

Tags
grammar, lesson