A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Comrade

California
Before school Math intervention

I am doing a before school Math intervention with about 15 upper elementary students. I am curious if you were given that opportunity, what would you focus on? Would you do only what the students are working on (struggling with) in class? Go back and reteach things they have missed in the past? I am trying to do a bit of both but would love ideas if you have some to share. I do have computers available to all of them so that can be helpful.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Comrade

Wisconsin
1st Grade Teacher
How were these students placed in this group? Were they assessed by their classroom teachers?
I would find out from their teachers what they are struggling with or what information they are lacking (basic facts? measurement? money? fractions?) and focus on those areas. Each child may be struggling with a different area, and you could use the computers to individualize their interventions.
This is what I'm going to do in my after school intervention group, but I'll have lower elementary students.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I hate even having to type this, but I would start with times tables. In my experience, kids who aren't totally solid on their times tables struggle with so many other topics!!!

Then I think I would hit big topics-- percents, decimals and fractions, and changing from one to the other. Percents in general, since so many people simply do not understand them. (The other night I had to explain to an adult friend that a discount of 20% on an item that had already been discounted 20% was NOT equivalent to a 40% discount off the original price. This, to an adult!!!!!) Proportions, and how to cross multiply. Long division. Multiplication involving several digits, and including decimals.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Comrade

California
Really great ideas. Thank you!
I will do a combination of these things. Yes, I will return to the multiplication facts. Those buggers are so tough for some.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Upper elementary...fifth graders or more like sixth graders. I'm not sure I would focus on converting fractions, decimals, percents with fourth graders...

I would definitely hit their multiplication facts and division facts. I would look at the common core standards and see what they do not grasp and teach these. Maybe start with a year younger common core standards and focus on those that connect with what they are learning now in the classroom.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Comrade

California
In fourth grade we are working on converting fractions to decimals and percents. It is tough but they are getting it. I will continue to do Math facts.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Rookie

India
I would start with the the basics and try to clear their basics and doubts about everything required in the early classes because in childhood if you have habit of having all the knowledge about all the topics then it will help you in future.
free online math tutor
Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
Don't forget math vocabulary. Many of my incoming fourth graders each year struggle until we clear up the meaning of common math words.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Groupie

Ohio
Try asking the kids what they are struggling with, and take if from there. With my 5th graders, we do this every year before the state testing.
Also, try to incorporate lots of word problems and multi step problems: how to read them, how to figure out what is being asked to do, and how to express the solution. This is HUGE in our state testing, and one of our biggest weaknesses.
Other than that, I agree with all the other posts!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Companion

word problems-yes

I agree with Knitter63. You need to do lots of word problems along with work on the basics. One place that has interesting word problems is Math Maven's Mysteries. Kids have to read a mystery story and solve a math problem. There aren't enough problems here to last a year, but they do get my students thinking and talking together about math. Should work for a before school math program.
http://teacher.scholastic.com/maven/index.htm

Tags
intervention, math, school