A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Novice

New England
When & How do they read?

I teach 5th grade and we use guided reading and Daily 5. Normally in primary grades, I'm used to students joining me at the kidney table, and after the intro (depending on the day) they all read silently. I tap on their book and listen to them read, help w phonics, maybe do a running record. They work on part of the book and if you get to the end of that section they go back and re-read until I've listened to all of them.

In 5th grade this is an uncomfortable process. We are reading larger chapter books and it takes well over a week to get through them. How do the kids read? And when do they read?

For example, do they read aloud one at a time? (round robin, picked at random, they volunteer?)

Do they read silently? Do you ever listen in?

Do you read to them?

Do they read at the group, or beforehand either at home or at their desk?

I feel like if we read during group, we either spend the whole time reading and never have enough time to discuss.... Or we read fewer pages to leave room for discussion, but it takes months to finish one book!

If they read on their own before the group meets, comprehension can be a bit iffy....

Thoughts??

Old 05-04-2012, 07:06 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
I've never taught above 3rd, but I know in my school a lot of the fifth grade teachers do literature circles with their groups, where each student has a job and after they read a chapter or whatever the assignment is, they complete a job and have discussions with the teacher the next time they meet. I just started this with my highest group in my 2nd grade class and we are doing the jobs together for the first time doing them and then they will each have a different job afterwards.

The jobs I'm using are travel tracer, connector, illustrator, literary luminary, word wizard, and I think there are 2 more I can't think of.

I focus on vocabulary with these guys, since they have strong phonics skills and can decode well.

Hope that helps!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Novice

New England
I was thinking of creating literature circle jobs. I've found a bunch of resources online for them... so that's certainly going to be something I will try.

My main concern is still.... do we read the book during the guided reading group, or do they read the book before guided reading group?

I'd rather they read before and save the meeting for the discussion... I guess I need to brainstorm how I can ensure students pay attention to what they read so they come to the discussion somewhat prepared?
Old 05-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Novice

WA
Upper Elementary Teacher
Mrs. Teacher, is this going to be it for your reading instruction? I teach fourth, and I do a Reader's Workshop approach that I supplement with an interactive read aloud and student book clubs. This means that students will be listening to a fluent reader model for them while following along with text, reading independently, writing about their reading (part of Reader's Workshop), discussing their reading, and reading to/with others. I highly recommend Regie Routman's and Laura Candler's materials for implementation.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast

2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneorama View Post
Mrs. Teacher, is this going to be it for your reading instruction? I teach fourth, and I do a Reader's Workshop approach that I supplement with an interactive read aloud and student book clubs. This means that students will be listening to a fluent reader model for them while following along with text, reading independently, writing about their reading (part of Reader's Workshop), discussing their reading, and reading to/with others. I highly recommend Regie Routman's and Laura Candler's materials for implementation.
I did this in grade 6 and it worked really well. I also tried literature circles, and liked the workshop approach better. It was just a better fit for my instruction and the group of kids I had that year!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Novice

New England
At the moment I do a variety of things throughout the week for literacy. I use a picture book at least one a week for about 45 minutes for an indepth interactive read aloud. We also have class sets of various novels that I also read aloud, as they follow along, and we work on various strategies. We have writer's workshop as well at a seperate time. (These activities take place outside of our scheduled literacy block)

In my literacy block we all are required to teach a mini lesson and then pull a guided reading group. While I'm working with a group the rest of my class is in the midst of a Daily 5 station.

My main question is, when I have my small group, how should we approach the actual reading of the text.

In other words, for 5th grade, when you are sitting with just 5 or 6 of your students... do you read round-robin? do they read silently and you listen in one-by-one? do they read a portion before actually meeting with the group? do you read to them?

Like I said, I've done guided reading with primary but it was most effective to have students read silently for a few assigned pages. I would tap on them and they would read to me in a whisper while the others kept reading silently. Then we would discuss once I heard everyone.

In 5th grade... I don't always need to listen to them... and if I just sit at my kidney table with my 5 kids while they read part of or a while chapter, the 25 minutes will be up before we can get to talking about anything! However, if we only silently read for 15 minutes, it takes forever to finish the book. Sometimes I assign the chapter the day before they come to my group... and the kids act like they've never heard the book.

So i'm just wondering, how & when do you read the book when you are only with your small group of 5 or 6?

I'm just having a hard time picturing the logistics.

Thanks for the input thus far
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I have students do everything you describe: sometimes we read together, sometimes I read, sometimes they read on their own.

However, my new favorite is to assign the students to read before our next meeting. For my lowest group: I assign their reading the day of and then they read to someone first and have independent reading afterwards, with their group meeting with me last.

Before students meet with me, they must write a summary. Some students summarize every page, some every chapter: depends on the student.

Then I pick a few pages or passages that are critical, that we reread together as a group (I read, they read silently, or we read together) and then we discuss those passages. After the few key passages, we discuss the chapter or section as a whole. This saves time reading every word and provides for better discussion.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:10 PM
Aficionado

USA
For me, it would probably depend on whether fluency was a goal for kids in the group. Especially by 5th grade, the expectations for increasing fluency levels off, and the focus becomes much more on comprehension. Assuming kids are on level, reading reasonably accurate, have good self-monitoring skills in reading (e.g., knowing to look up words when they don't know it), and other things connected with fluency, I would probably have them read before, since reading silently is not a good use of you being in front of them. Depending on the population you serve and how well you think they'd meet the expectations, I'd be tempted to not even provide classroom time for reading. I do think silent reading is important, but it can happen just as well at home as it could in the classroom, assuming kids come from homes/communities where homework and assigned reading tends to happen.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
I teach fourth- with my lower group (or groups, depending on the year) we do most of the reading as a group with a small amount done individually, but my average and higher groups do almost all reading prior to group time.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Groupie

Ohio
I use trade books during my small group instruction. I have the students echo read (for fluency and expression practice), choral read, or sometimes I listen in as they read silently.
Trade books are short enough reads that we can do one book per week. I incorporate a lot of non fiction (science and social studies concepts) trade books. I work on a particular literacy skill with that book.

Tags
read