A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Other Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message. Click here for more info.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Rookie

Virginia
Teacher to Be
Preparing for the RVE

I just registered for the RVE and I am pretty nervous. I'm not sure what to expect from this one. It took me three times to complete Praxis 1 and I passed the VCLA on the first try. Anyone from Virginia that has already had experience with the RVE? If so, I could really use some pointers!

Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Let's move this thread to the Other Tests forum, where you'll find discussions of RVE, the earlier VRA that it replaces, and other states' tests of reading instruction methodology. (For the record, the Single Subject Tests subforum is for subject-matter exams - Praxis II content knowledge and the like.)

If you know the terminology of reading and can apply it correctly to scenarios involving students at various stages of the reading process, you should do fine. I believe VRE includes a constructed response; please be aware that it is not an essay in the VCLA/Praxis I sense, so you need to lead with a statement of your answer to the question posed and then shore it up with terminology and evidence.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-3 Sped Resource Teacher
When are you taking the test? I'm taking it on March 10th so I can let you know how it goes if your test date is after that. The praxis site has some "sample" questions on their website which were very easy. However, I'm already a reading teacher (looking to get licensed in VA for more job possibilities) so I figure if I can't pass a test on teaching reading that would be pretty sad. They also will sell you a book that tells you which topics to study if you're interested in that, but I expect that this test will be pretty common knowledge for those that are familiar with teaching reading. I took the VCLA this week and thought it went pretty well but I don't know my official scores yet. I'll post back after I take my test!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Rookie

Virginia
Teacher to Be
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfall View Post
When are you taking the test? I'm taking it on March 10th so I can let you know how it goes if your test date is after that. The praxis site has some "sample" questions on their website which were very easy. However, I'm already a reading teacher (looking to get licensed in VA for more job possibilities) so I figure if I can't pass a test on teaching reading that would be pretty sad. They also will sell you a book that tells you which topics to study if you're interested in that, but I expect that this test will be pretty common knowledge for those that are familiar with teaching reading. I took the VCLA this week and thought it went pretty well but I don't know my official scores yet. I'll post back after I take my test!

Sorry I am just getting back to your response, I haven't been to the boards recently. I am registered to take the test on April 28th. I did see the sample questions and I did fairly well with those. I also saw the practice book and I plan to purchase it. I wouldn't worry too much about your VCLA scores, honestly, I don't think I have heard of anyone not passing it.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Rookie

Colorado
1st Grade Teacher
Has anyone taken the RVE here? I am taking it on the 18th and I am extremely nervous. Does the study guide that you purchase help at all. I have no idea where to begin studying for this. I am a new teacher so; I have not had much practice putting what I learned into practice! Please help!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Phenom

Western USA
Sorry, just getting back to this. It was really easy- I passed by A LOT and I didn't study at all.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Newcomer

VA
Future VA Teacher
The study guide does not seem to be very robust. Waterfall what resources did you use?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Phenom

Western USA
I didn't study. It's really just common sense. If you've taken a class about teaching reading, it will be a breeze. The only thing that might trip up someone not as familiar with teaching is all of the phonics vocabulary- know phoneme, morpheme, onset, rime, etc.

Tags
preparing, rve