A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 04-30-2012, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Kindergarten Teacher
Lost Coat

One of my little one's lost his jacket today. Normally this wouldn't be a big deal because these kids are always loosing everything, but this child lost his jacket right after lunch and didn't tell me until his bus pulled up. So of course my aids and myself went crazy looking for this jacket to no avail. We even got my P in on the hunt.

I'm dreading seeing this parent tomorrow. This child has been transferred to my class because his father threatened his old teacher. Joy! I hope my P is able to intercept him before he makes it into my room. I do not handle parents yelling at me very well.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Cohort

CT
Yikes! When did we become the responsibility police. I hate that the student isn't being held accountable here. Uggh. Let's hope the jacket turns up. Maybe you could shoot them an email tonight explaining that you were not informed of the missing jacket until dismissal and that you will he on the HUNT tomorrow! Maybe that will make things better!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Just be honest. A K kid losing a jacket and not telling you until line up for dismissal is really out of your control at that point. Explain how you, your aides, and even the principal scoured the building for it. I'm sure it will show up. Don't lose sleep over this.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Rookie

Kindergarten Teacher
I'm not going to loose sleep. My class knows that they are responsible for their belongings and that's that. Of course I'm there to help find things but I can't keep track of everyone's belongings.

Oh well, let's hope this parent has a level head in the morning.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Good attitude...you shouldn't lose sleep. The jacket will turn up. Perhaps one of your aides can check the lost and found tomorrow with your student...sometimes loose and lost items show up a day or two later.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Enthusiast

California
Working Class Teacher
In 11 years of teaching first grade, I have never been blamed for a child losing a coat, sweater, or jacket.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
My GS lost his cell phone today. His mother isn't blaming the teacher.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Hopefully it was warm enough where you are to go without wearing a coat. I hope that the coat falls into your hands before the parent arrives today.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:10 PM
Cohort

CT
How was today?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Devotee

New York
I don't think it's that far-fetched to think a parent would yell about a missing coat (not that I agree!). This year I was given an attitude because I dismissed a child to her mother with no shoes on her feet. She had an accident in the bathroom and the pee got all over her sneakers. I request that parents send in a change of clothes, including socks, so she changed everything else. But she didn't have extra sneakers and calls home and to cell phones went unanswered and unreturned. I'm sorry, did you want me to cobble some shoes for the child in my free moments? Some parents will criticize for the silliest of things.

Hope this parent doesn't cause you trouble!

Tags
coat, lost