A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Jerseygirlteach Jerseygirlteach is offline
Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,146
3rd/4th grade special education
Should I look for a job? Honest opinions please.

Here's my situation. I was hired last year in a great district and have enjoyed working here all year. However, there was some drama when I was hired. I had already accepted another position and had to back out. Please don't think poorly of me for doing so. It was a very difficult decision but it came down to what would be best for me and my family. I hadn't signed a contract yet and they had a few weeks before school started to find someone else. I do feel like I absolutely burned a bridge in that district by backing out of a position I already accepted and I'd like to avoid further bridge-burning among districts if possible.

So now we're approaching the end of the school year. I've been told that it's standard procedure that the district lays off all non-tenured teachers and decides over the summer who they will need and recall. I've had very positive feedback, there's been no talk of a staff reduction, and my position is definitely needed for next year. But...there are no guarantees of anything. Another teacher has told me that, in the past, there have been teachers that haven't been rehired for reasons that she cannot understand. So, sometimes it's hard to predict.

I'm torn as to whether or not to look for another job. I definitely want to continue with this district and it would kill me to turn them down if they decide to rehire me because I've might have already signed a contract with another district. Also, I don't want to burn any more bridges with other districts by accepting a position and backing out if my current district calls. I don't want to sound like I'm boasting but I did have multiple offers last year so it's within the realm of possibility that what I'm worrying about could occur. On the other hand, though, I don't want to be complacent and not look for a job and then wind up with nothing.

What would you do?
Reply With Quote

 
  #2  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Xidous003 Xidous003 is offline
Companion
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 218
Always put the resumes out there! If you never signed a contract, then it wasn't legally binding. There are thousands of teachers looking for jobs, so I'm sure they were quick to replace you (not that you are not good...the applicant pool is just that large).

I am in your same position...I may be cut due to budget cuts....I may not. Right now it is looking like I may be cut. In any event, I am putting applications out there, because you never know. Better to have a 'plan b' than no plan at all.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
leighbball's Avatar
leighbball leighbball is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,256
Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
Are you in NJ? I'm asking because of your AtoZ name. In NJ, if you are in a tenure-track position the district has until May 15 to let you know if they are not rehiring you. If you don't hear anything by then, you have a job.
__________________
Have pride in how far you've come; have faith in how far you'll go.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
mopar's Avatar
mopar mopar is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,977
USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Try to sit down with your principal to see what vibe you get about if you will be rehired or not.

Then, send out resumes until you have a secure off of employment from your current district.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:52 AM
tonysam tonysam is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 272
Look for another job.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM
UCLACareerChngr's Avatar
UCLACareerChngr UCLACareerChngr is offline
Comrade
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 294
California
High School Teacher
look for another job, and if you get an offer later this year or over the summer, ask for a period of time (couple of days) to make a decision, and then contact your principal or district HR to see if a decision has been made, and let them know that you have been offered another position, which you don't want to take if you will be coming back to this position...basically you're giving them the option to bring you back but also covering yourself. I don't think this is unreasonable.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Jerseygirlteach Jerseygirlteach is offline
Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,146
3rd/4th grade special education
Thanks for the feedback. Leighbball - I am in NJ and I have been told by the special services director that I - along with all non-tenureds - will be officially RIF'd by May 15. She told me not to take it personally and also said basically what I said above - they'll decide in June/July who to recall.

I could ask my principal but another new teacher already asked and was told that it wasn't completely up to him and he just didn't know.

I really hate being in this position. I wish I could get a straight answer and know already. What really kills me is that this is how it will be in this district each year until I'm tenured (assuming I'm rehired.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-01-2012, 11:59 AM
mopar's Avatar
mopar mopar is offline
Multitudinous
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 10,977
USA
Kindergarten Teacher
I would go out and look for a job. Be sure to let your principal and special service director know that you would love to work for the school, but until you hear back, you need to put out your resume and interview.

If you are offered a job, ask for time to consider the offer. Then, call your principal and special services director and let them know that you have an offer on the table. You would love to continue to work for this district, but need to give the school an answer and you cannot afford to not have a job in the fall.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM
swansong1's Avatar
swansong1 swansong1 is offline
Phenom
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,228
Disney country
Retired and sleeping late!
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLACareerChngr View Post
look for another job, and if you get an offer later this year or over the summer, ask for a period of time (couple of days) to make a decision, and then contact your principal or district HR to see if a decision has been made, and let them know that you have been offered another position, which you don't want to take if you will be coming back to this position...basically you're giving them the option to bring you back but also covering yourself. I don't think this is unreasonable.
This.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM
leighbball's Avatar
leighbball leighbball is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,256
Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
That stinks, jersey...my district used to do it before I was hired but has since stopped that practice and only rif's when necessary.

I would do what the others suggested and send out cover letters and resumes to make sure you are good for next year, but hopefully it will all work out
__________________
Have pride in how far you've come; have faith in how far you'll go.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
honest, job, opinions

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off










All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Copyright © 1997-2010 A to Z Teacher Stuff, L.L.C.  All Rights Reserved.
Use of this site signifies your agreement to the terms of use.
Questions, comments, and suggestions: Contact Us
Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.