A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Job Seekers

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Elementary-Autism
have a Spec Ed cert-add Elementary?

I have a Special Education certification. Ive been teaching for 4 years...all 4 years have been in a non-public school for children with autism. I would really like to get into a public school ( I think).

Ive expressed concerns on another teacher board about not having a good grasp on the general education curriculum, at least grades above 4th grade. I got a response "you shouldn't be teaching" I've thought bout that as well. But I have no idea what else I could/would do.

I also thought bout getting an elementary certification. Would this make me more marketable to a public school?

Does anyone have a special education certification and elementary certification?? Did you find it easier to get a job?

Thanks

Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Phenom

Western USA
K-6 Sped Resource Teacher
I have both. It's required in my area and in my hometown to be "highly qualified" in whatever gen ed subject your sped program will be related to. So I have an elementary degree, in MS if I wanted to teach special ed math, I'd have to be highly qualified in math as well as special ed. So everyone has it...so I don't think it really makes a difference as far as job hunting goes. I had an easier time getting a job because I was willing to relocate to an area where more jobs were available.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
K-5 is not exactly an easy place to find a job. You may still be unable to find a position.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Comrade

Illinois
Elementary-Autism
O I know just elementary is a hard place to find a job...I was more talking about if having an elementary and special education certification will help me get a special education position in a public school, or do you really think that matters?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
It helped me to get a special education job in the public schools. They really liked that I was certified to teach the subjects not just special education.

I don't see how it would hurt you.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Comrade

Go for it. The more certifications the better in this job market.

Tags
certadd, elementary, spec