A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Novice

What's Going to Get Me an Interview?

I am an experienced teacher (1.25 years subbing, .75 years long-term subbing, 3 years teaching in Special Ed) who has an elementary school teaching license and am REALLY wanting to teach elementary school! I have been trying for a couple of years to get into elementary school, but I'm not even getting interviews!

I have a strong resume, cover letter, and letters of rec. I've emailed, called, and tried to visit principals to no avail.

Any other suggestions on how I could better market myself?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Well, for starters, there need to be openings. In a lot of areas of the country, cutbacks have made those openings few and far between.

But, all other things being equal, I think the great secret to getting an interview is a killer cover letter. Too many of the ones I read are fairly generic, full of the latest buzzwords but lacking any sense of the person behind the letter. They fail to make a connection with the reader, and teaching is all about making a connection with those kids.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Companion

Kansas
Do you think it has to do with the "teacher insight test?" because in my district your application is not even reviewed by Principals unless you make a certain cut. Human resources will not give out our score but if there was a way to find out if your application was making it out to Principals what would be great.

You also mentioned that you are subbing......I got a job interview and hopefully job by having a brief chat with the Principal and introducing myself. It would be also a way to find out if your applications are going out.

Best wishes
Old 04-29-2012, 03:52 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
I would say if you are not getting interviews it is your cover letter and/or resume. Try going back to your college and get help from within the education department from which ever professor teaches the class where you write them. I have gotten around 30 interviews using the ones I wrote in class, many for Elementary. I did graduate with a 3.96 GPA, won a bunch of awards, etc that fill out a resume nicely.

I would avoid the career center at the college though. I sent my perfect resume a made it look as basic as possible. They don't understand the difference between a Teacher Resume and a resume to work at the olive garden.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Devotee

US
I don't know how the district HR departments work, but when I was a corporate recruiter, there were a lot of times when I got so many resumes for each position, the majority never were even reviewed. If in the first twenty or so candidates we found enough that met our requirements, we'd interview. If one of those fit, we'd make an offer. There was no possible way to spend the man-hours reviewing hundreds of resumes for each position. I suspect that the school districts are similarly innundated these days. I'm more surprised when I get a response than when I never hear back.

Tags
interview