A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > A to Z Teacher Stuff > Introductions

Old 04-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Aficionado

Texas
HS English and Driver's Ed
Region IV has some great resources. Make sure you check out their job fair coming up in June.

If you're going to focus on elementary, most of the Region IV schools are wanting BILINGUAL ed more than anything else. Is that a possibility for you?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Rookie

TX
Not at this point in time. I am willing to learn if it is required to gain an edge.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Rookie

TX
How about volunteering? Would that be a good way to get my foot in the door and get some experience?

It looks like I will be riding out the year at my current job. The main reason behind this is that when the plant closes, I get a nice severance package that gives me enough money to survive a while on. Plus I can get $6,000 to put towards schooling. That leaves me plenty to get my generalist certification.

My plan is to possibly volunteer this year. As for next year, I plan to take the steps required to get my generalist cert and hopefully grab a job as a substitute teacher. I will also apply like mad for a job in the districts near where I am at. At least that way if I do not find anything, I can always fall back on being a substitute teacher for that first year. If I do a good job, it may be a great foot in the door at the schools I substitute at, hopefully allowing an easier entrance into the school.

It is crazy that I am not scared at all. I am actually more motivated than I have ever been in the past.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Hi and welcome!

Instead of coming up with crafts, I would spend the time you have becoming as much an expert as possible on the STAAR tests that are coming in. http://www.neisd.net/staar/ If it's new, no one is an expert yet.... this is a golden opportunity for you to learn something that will make your resume/cover letter stand out from the pack.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Just understand how difficult it will be to find an elementary job. Since you have business degrees I assume you are good at math. You may want to consider also adding middle school math cert if possible.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk1 View Post
Thank you everyone! I am already starting to try to think up crafts and other projects for possible future elementary class use.

I do believe this could be the beginning of an addiction.

I guess it helps that I always like hands on items. I know there is more to teaching than just crafts, but I do like to get creative when I can.
MrK...I was a business major who worked in marketing, sales and advertising before becoming a mom and volunteer in my sons' classrooms...volunteering is great. Knowing your 'stuff' is better. I observed in enough classrooms before even starting my Ed program to begin to appreciate the complexity of a teacher's day...Glittered bulletin boards and crafts look nice, but it's all just razzle dazzle fluff if you don't have a handle on content and classroom mgt...make these your goals. File those craft ideas away on Pinterest...get into some classrooms to observe master teachers to see just what really matters...and to find out if this profession is a fit for you.

Tags
guy