A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM

Florida
BEST PRACTICES

Post your hints for best practices here. Indicate the grade level, too.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
I assume this thread is for best practices for subs, right?

I'm just dying to tell you all what happened today, but there is a message in there, too

So we had a new sub, she's supposed to be in for a teacher for the whole week. My first period class is held in this teacher's classroom, who has prep, so he usually tells the subs to come and assist me with whatever I want.

So this sub is very young, in her early 20s. Pretty, with a nice shape, easy going, etc.
Since it was her first time, told her she can just stay in my class, I don't really need help, but she can see how things go, etc.
She was wearing skinny jeans, with a form fitting (tight) T-shirt. It wasn't low cut, it didn't need to be, you could see her entire body shape, including her ahm, chest. Which was well developed She also had a sweatshirt tied around her waist.

After about 20 minutes a probation officer pulled me aside, and asked me if I could talk to her and explain to her that she needs to cover up. The school is full of teenage boys, who haven't seen any girls their own age for months.
One of the male teachers tried to talk to her, but somehow it became awkward, or something, not sure. So as nicely and as clearly as I could I told her she should cover up, because the boys are checking her out, they're gonna give her a hard time, and she won't be able to control them.
I even pointed out what I was wearing: dress pants (not tight), a tank top, on top of that a button-down shirt. I left it open, because it was more comfortable, but I actually pinned it to my tank top on the front, so it won't even come apart

Well, she listened, but didn't do anything, She stayed like that all day. Later on I found out, because her shirt left her midriff bare, so it was best to cover it with the sweatshirt, tied around her waist. Her sweatshirt was also too short, so it wasn't very useful.

Interestingly no one got sent out. I'm sure they all wanted to stay in her class, eating her up with their eyes. One of the guys told me she couldn't teach anything, because a few guys kept bombarding her with questions about her personal life, which she revealed in some detail.

Oe of the officers said: I know every inch of her body just by looking at her, she looks like she's wearing a catsuit.

I just don't get it, what was she thinking? Even if she went to sub at a regular school, this is still not professional attire.

BEST practice: dress appropriately, for whatever grade level
I know, this should be obvious, lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Linguist,

I remember some of your posts so I understand where you work and I'm shocked that whoever is in charge didn't do something. Even grabbing a uniform like the students wear (I'm assuming your facility has uniforms of some kind) just so she could cover up. I'm a guy so this issue doesn't come up the same way. I feel weird when I'm wearing a polo and dress pants as opposed to a shirt, tie, and dress pants.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Rookie

this will be my 4th year Guest Teaching (a sub is a sandwich)...and i always tell kids that i am a teacher. i dress like a teacher,act like a teacher and look like one. i don't have a lot of money and definitely shop on sale, and find a lot of cute tops that look professional at the $5.00 store. i know how to take a long jean skirt ane a nice long tunic top, put on some funky jewelry and boots, rock an afro puff and get compliments from teachers and students who of course think i look cool and want to get on my good side LOL but i am strict with them. a lot of guest teachers come to school looking like they can be run over by the way they are dressed, and that is what happens.
women should not come to school looking like tramps, it's really uncalled for. the principal should have said something before allowing her inside the classroom. smh
Old 08-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Aficionado

Texas
Third Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguist92021 View Post
I assume this thread is for best practices for subs, right?

I'm just dying to tell you all what happened today, but there is a message in there, too

So we had a new sub, she's supposed to be in for a teacher for the whole week. My first period class is held in this teacher's classroom, who has prep, so he usually tells the subs to come and assist me with whatever I want.

So this sub is very young, in her early 20s. Pretty, with a nice shape, easy going, etc.
Since it was her first time, told her she can just stay in my class, I don't really need help, but she can see how things go, etc.
She was wearing skinny jeans, with a form fitting (tight) T-shirt. It wasn't low cut, it didn't need to be, you could see her entire body shape, including her ahm, chest. Which was well developed She also had a sweatshirt tied around her waist.

After about 20 minutes a probation officer pulled me aside, and asked me if I could talk to her and explain to her that she needs to cover up. The school is full of teenage boys, who haven't seen any girls their own age for months.
One of the male teachers tried to talk to her, but somehow it became awkward, or something, not sure. So as nicely and as clearly as I could I told her she should cover up, because the boys are checking her out, they're gonna give her a hard time, and she won't be able to control them.
I even pointed out what I was wearing: dress pants (not tight), a tank top, on top of that a button-down shirt. I left it open, because it was more comfortable, but I actually pinned it to my tank top on the front, so it won't even come apart

Well, she listened, but didn't do anything, She stayed like that all day. Later on I found out, because her shirt left her midriff bare, so it was best to cover it with the sweatshirt, tied around her waist. Her sweatshirt was also too short, so it wasn't very useful.

Interestingly no one got sent out. I'm sure they all wanted to stay in her class, eating her up with their eyes. One of the guys told me she couldn't teach anything, because a few guys kept bombarding her with questions about her personal life, which she revealed in some detail.

Oe of the officers said: I know every inch of her body just by looking at her, she looks like she's wearing a catsuit.

I just don't get it, what was she thinking? Even if she went to sub at a regular school, this is still not professional attire.

BEST practice: dress appropriately, for whatever grade level
I know, this should be obvious, lol.
That's sad, but funny in a way. She noticed at some point that morning that her tummy was showing so she tried to fix it by grabbing a sweatshirt, and NOT by changing.

Hollywood has found the star for Clueless II.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Fanatic

We never saw her after that.
But this was nothing to what I've seen / heard later!
We had a sub who has been working there for a year or 2. She has gotten in trouble for wearing see-through clothes!!! she actually is much older (I mean at least 50), so she can't even blame it on being young and clueless, and she has been working there for a loooong time, so she should have known better. This happened more than once, seeing underwear or a bra through her clothing.
Interestingly this is a sub who can't control the kids, and one student actually grabbed her butt. (that was in my classroom, btw). I'm not saying she deserved it, but we always send messages to to the world with what wear, how we act, how we carry ourselves, etc.

So this would be Clueless III.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Novice

Oregon
Substitute Teacher
Dressing professionally is definitely a best practice. I remember in my college classes, before we student taught, we were given very specific instructions on what to wear and most of it involved modesty. With pants riding lower and shirts getting shorter and lower cut, it's often a struggle to make sure you'll be covered doing everything a teacher does. However, it makes a huge difference in the way you are perceived.

To get back to the OP's question, there are tons of best practices. For all kids, keep them busy. If they are busy, they won't goof around. And by busy, I don't mean busy work, but just keep the pacing of the day moving along. Dead time causes trouble. When I taught kindergarten, I planned in 15 minute increments, because I never wanted them doing one thing or sitting in one place for more than 15 minutes. That seemed to work great for me.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Comrade

New York
Kindergarten Teacher
On my first day, I would dress in professional attire. Then as the time goes by, I'd dress a bit more casual, but nothing that breaks the dress code. A nice tshirt and a pair of nice jeans doesn't hurt at all. I sometimes also wear some of my summer dresses as the weather gets warmer (whichever doesn't reveal much), but I also wear a little jacket on top (could be short-sleeved, but whatever looks good with those certain dresses). My point is, I'm not afraid to dress comfortably being that I work with kids, but as long as it's appropriate! As long as you're covered up and not wearing anything that shows alot of leg!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Companion

NJ
High School English Teacher
Our subbing company hammers into our heads just how important it is to dress professionally. I'm a young woman so I tend to wear simple button up shirts, dress slacks, and black flat shoes (no heels). On some occasions, I wear a business dress that comes slightly below the knee.

A lot of these attire posts are geared toward women and modesty, but I want to emphasize that it's just as important for men to dress professionally, too. Last year, we had an incident where a man showed up to sub wearing a baggy sweatsuit (covered in food stains, yuck) and beat up sneakers. He dressed like this even though our company and partnering districts have a strict dress code in place. Apparently, he spent 90% of his time texting in the classroom and the kids were out of control. He was banned from subbing at that particular school.

Which leads me to my next point...

As a sub, act like you're the regular teacher which means PUT AWAY THE CELL PHONE. This should be common sense, but we've had a lot of problems where younger substitutes spend their time texting/playing Angry Birds than actually teaching the kids. I've heard so many complaints from aides and inclusion teachers about subs who refused to help and played with their phone instead. People were always so appreciative that I actually followed plans and worked! :O Anyway, I understand playing the same movie every single class can get boring. I understand it can be boring if you're responsible for testing and aren't teaching. But that doesn't mean you can whip out the phone and shut yourself off mentally from the students. Put it away.

Lastly, always follow the teacher's plans. Nothing upsets a teacher more than throwing plans out the window. What I do is check off everything completed in class and then write a summary of how the day went.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Fanatic

One more: always leave notes!!
I subbed for a teacher for 1 week (2 weeks ago). He left me plans, some were very vague (that's when I asked here about life skills, so i can come up with something for them to do). We did everything he asked, and more. Left everything organized for him and a note letting him know what went on during the week.

The next week he was still out. I was already somewhere else, they got him another sub.
He was still out, I was subbing for a floating sped. teacher. This same sub was schedule but never showed up!!!
So they pulled me in the classroom. This sub has not left any notes! (she did not know the teacher was still gonna be out, so as far as she was concerned, she was done). I had no idea what they did last week and where I should pick up.
I had to improvise, it wasn't easy. because there were 4 different subjects. And of course the kids said all they did was movies, which I know is not true, but maybe they have seen some.

So I did my best, and left my notes for him so he knows what happened today.

the type of notes I always leave include the following:
- thanking the teacher for having me
- letting her know what was taught, where we stopped, etc
- letting her know a basic idea of which classes were better / worse, etc.
- but I always make sure I handle all disciplinary issues, i don't want the teacher coming in after a sick day and having to deal with issues that weren't evening happening when they were here.

Tags
practices