A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > More TeacherChat > Teacher Time Out

Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneorama View Post
I know that Bountiful Baskets isn't in SoCal, due to produce import regulations, but for those of us who are trying to live on less and stay healthy in other areas, I highly recommend Bountiful Baskets. It's a produce co-op that began in AZ and has rapidly spread (still is, in fact) to other parts of the country. Here in my area, I pad $16.50 (15.00 + 1.50 handling fee) on Monday, when I participated on their website (www.bountifulbaskets.org). On Saturday, I chose to volunteer, so I was there early, but otherwise, I just had to show up within a twenty minute window with my confirmation number, either on my smart phone or a printed copy of the one they emailed me, and I picked up a huge amount of produce. This week I got 6 crowns of broccoli, 4 large beets with greens, 3 large heirloom tomatoes, 1 pineapple, 1 5lb bag of apples, 1 Tuscan (personal sized, but my family of 4 shared it just fine) watermelon, 1 quart of strawberries, 2 softball sized mangos, 8 good sized bananas, and about 1 lb of green beans. There could have been one or two more types of things, but this is what I can recall right now. Huge value, all very fresh, high quality, and not GMO produce. Organic is also available for an additional fee.

I know I sound like a commercial, but I know how hard wel all work, and how much quality food costs. I want to help my fellow teachers find this great deal that my family so benefits from. We generally plan our menu around our produce, and have begun to eat much more simply and cheaply than we had before, with higher quality and healthier meals.

Again, the website is www.bountifulbaskets.org. It's a nonprofit co-op, so I'm not benefitting in any way from putting this out there. Participation is from noon on Mondays through early evening on Tuesdays (I can't recall an exact time, since our area has been selling out in 20 minutes or less for a few months now). Pickup is during a predetermined twenty minute window on either Saturday morning or early afternoon, depending on your site's times. Check the website to see if you have one in your area, if you are looking to save money. You can also check out their page on Facebook (Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op) to see what participants are saying about it.
I believe that a number of SoCal farmers who sell at farmers' markets sell through something similar, though I'm afraid I don't have details.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdaisies View Post
Ms. I, I don't think $35 for your electric bill is too low of an estimate. We pay about $30 for ours, and we are in a 780ish square foot 1 bedroom apartment in SoCal. We do not have central AC - we have a wall unit. So that would make the costs lower for us. But some of the prices people are quoting are electricity costs for HOUSES, which is very different and much more expensive than for an apartment.
I thought about this, and even when we were in an apartment (which was more square footage than the little starter house we currently live in) our electricity was about the same because everything there was electric (now our heat and hot water are gas.) When we lived in a one-room apartment with a window unit, our bill was about $60 a month in the summer. When we lived in a townhouse, our bill was over $100 in the summer. It must just be a southern thing...
Old 04-30-2012, 05:31 AM
Fanatic

NY of course!
Special Education Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayneorama View Post
I know that Bountiful Baskets isn't in SoCal, due to produce import regulations, but for those of us who are trying to live on less and stay healthy in other areas, I highly recommend Bountiful Baskets. It's a produce co-op that began in AZ and has rapidly spread (still is, in fact) to other parts of the country.
They have something like this in my area. I don't remember the name of it but they have a "produce" box you could buy and also other items boxed by category. I was thinking about signing up but never got around to it.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
You have gas and electricity...what is your electronic responsible for? Thirty-five dollars seems a little low.

Our house is around 2700 square feet and our bill is from $75 to $130...but my husband is very, very focused on energy efficiency. At our apartment closer the size of your place, it was the seventy dollar figure (but again, after my husband caulked things and did this and that). My mom's tiny little house is $200 in the winter. So it clearly varies greatly, but that number you were quoted seems off.
My apartment is 1,000 square feet, and my electric bill is about $30 when I don't run the AC, and about $50 in the months I do...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:50 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
But you're putting in more gas by letting it go lower...so you would pay more less often..it all adds up to the same amount of gallons you're using per month...I'm not seeing the 'savings'
The only thing I see is a possibility of more budgeting consistency, but even then, I'm really not seeing any savings. Even in longer months the gas cost will either fall in the longer month or the next month.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:52 AM
Virtuoso

US of A
3/4, Classical Educator
Our electricity bill is generally around $20, gas is around $15. Varies, but it tends to be low.

Now, food is where we spend a lot in. We shop at Trader Joes and at a place similar to Whole Foods. We spend around $100 for two of us. Doesn't inlcude eating out, which we do about 2 times a week.

I get gas every weekend, whether it's low or not. I typically spend around $30 filling it up. So, I spend approximately $120 on gas (I drive anywhere from 60 to 100 miles a day).

We only have cell phones, no landlines. I haven't had a landline since I left for college back in 2002.

We have basic cable, but this is our first year with it. Thinking it's not worth it. We watch shows on Hulu and Netflix.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Maven

Southern California
SLP Grad Student & 3 Other Jobs
After May 9th, work (meaning at my job) will be a breeze & I'll be done w/ grad classes for a while, so I'll really be able to start clearing out & packing up, so I can ship out! I won't be able to bring all of my clothing because there just won't be nearly as much room. I'm going from having a closet that's the length of a wall PLUS a walk-in closet to just having 1 closet that takes up the wall. I should get an armoire soon too.

I plan to buy a bed & have my cable TV & internet hooked up 1st thing. I'm only moving 10-15 min away from where I am now & I won't have many large items to bring over, so this will probably be the easiest move in my life.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Aficionado

OREGON
Some of you quote very low electricity bills. How come? Ours is over $100 a month and we don't use it for heat?
Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2z View Post
The only thing I see is a possibility of more budgeting consistency, but even then, I'm really not seeing any savings. Even in longer months the gas cost will either fall in the longer month or the next month.
We get 'rewards' through our grocery story for every 100 dollars you spend that let you take 10 cents off per gallon. That's only good for one purchase, so it makes more sense to do one large fill-up at the discounted price than two smaller ones if you won't have that discount the next time.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Aficionado

amakay, We have that too. There were times with the bonus reward points I had 60 cents off per gallon. It was great. Now, I won't go driving to the gas station for 10 cents off because the distance to the station that works in cooperation with the store I use isn't all that close. By the time you factor wear and tear on the car, the savings is eaten. But what I do is:

Plan my errands in a loop and all in one day or make sure if I will be passing the store anyway, that is when I go. I don't ever drive for 1 thing unless it is absolutely essential. I've done that for years. The other thing that helps me do is make sure I don't impulse buy as much - not that it is really a problem. It is amazing something you see as a necessity one day may not fit the same level of need several days later.

Tags
budget, live