A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Rookie

ontario
High School Teacher
Well once again after a 6 month break I am attempting cset english 1 AGAIN. This will be my 6th time. I have all the other three and for some reason I can not pass this one. Any new helpful hints for 2012? My scores have all been either 210 or 216, so I know that I'm close, but I HAVE to pass again. Someone help me. I beg of you

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Newcomer

Massachusetts
6th Grade Teacher
Hello A to Z!

New to the site and to the career, was wondering if you could possibly recommend any study tools for the Humanities and Foundations of Reading MTELS.

The site looks wonderful from what I've explored! Thank you for making the resources avaialble!

-C
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, Conquistador! How are you generally as a test taker?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Newcomer

Massachusetts
6th Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
Welcome to A to Z, Conquistador! How are you generally as a test taker?

I generally fare well but can struggle to be clear and explicit in my explanation of short and long answer questions
Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Okay, Conquistador.

First, an aside: this thread happens to be for exams of English, and one is expected to employ a moderately literate style: full sentences, paragraphs, reasonably correct mechanics, and so on. Any advice as to how to write will be calibrated to the English exam.

Exams in other areas generally allow bullet lists and the like. In other words, the point is not to write pretty, but rather to show off content and ability to reason with it. You don't have to (and in fact probably shouldn't) repeat the question, except perhaps in a phrase; you don't have to introduce or conclude. What you do need to do is get to the point as you would in discussing the issue with a colleague who knows the field (and whom you'd like to impress favorably) - because said colleague is the sort of person who is scoring these things.

For Foundations of Reading, look for the threads on the various tests of reading instruction methodology in the Other Tests subforum.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Newcomer

Massachusetts
6th Grade Teacher
Thank you!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Rookie

Studying English
Praxis II Content Knowledge: English....

Hello there,
I was just wondering if there are any specific links for the Praxis II Content English test. I am taking the test in July and I have been taking practice tests in ETS books, etc. but my largest concern is the historical and cultural context parts along with a little bit of the English patterns, structures, forms, and genres section. I was hoping that someone had some helpful study tips or advice so that I can get well acquainted with these areas in my study plan. Thanks so much
Old 05-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Welcome to A to Z, GiverofEnglish. What's your background in English? What's your history with this test?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Rookie

Studying English
I am majoring in English at Hollins University and have yet to take the Praxis II exam. I have completed the VCLA and the Praxis I tests. I am now a senior and scheduled to take the exam this upcoming July and have to have it completed before November 1st for Student Teaching purposes. Any help to learning historical and cultural context plus patterns, structures, etc. before taking the test would be much appreciated! I would like to be able to pass it the first time so that I can finally have the feeling of relief!!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What have you studied by way of literature?

Have you ever had a class in (a) linguistics class or (b) history of English or (c) structure of English words?

Tags
elmer, english, resources