A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 AM
Phenom

Midwest
http://www.mrsperkins.com/testing.htm

I don't know if this would help you or not... but it's a great helper....

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
I have two student computers, and my kiddos do xtramath during their morning work time. They don't always all get to go, but most of them do. We started in November, and most of my kiddos made it through addition and subtraction before we all moved on to multiplication.

I use this website: http://softschools.com/math/worksheets/ to generate practice sheets when needed, especially when we do our multiplication sundae challenge. I love that you can customize it--so if you're working on +9, you can make a whole sheet of just those. I've also used it to make modified sheets for my kiddos who need fewer facts.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
My district has report card benchmarks that require students to know addition and subtraction facts "with speed an accuracy" to 18. We have a few common assessments and students are given 6 seconds per problem. Most of my students do not score well on the subtraction test.

I do not work on these skills very much in the classroom...Of course, we are always adding and subtracting, but I rarely practice timing them. There are a few games that we play once and a while, and I encourage parents to practice at home. I also have some links posted on my classroom website. (If you would like the link to my classroom website, just send me a PM. )

I LOVE Xtra Math, too! I have 2 students at a time use it during Daily 5 time. It is SO easy to use, and it's really motivating for my students. They like seeing their progress.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
The one thing I do like about timed tests is that kids start to think in their heads instead of drawings or fingers.

Also need to keep in mind that some kids simply cannot write as fast as others even when they know the answers.

I start the year with timed tests only for the family of...
2+1=3
1+2=3
3-1-2
3-2=1

Then I move on to the 4+1=5 family but leave the 2+1=3 family mixed in. then 5 +1, 6+1, 7+1, 8+1, 9+1, then anything plus zero.

September +1
October +2
November +3
December +4
January +5
Feb +6
Mar +7
Apr +8
May +9

It works for me for 8 of 10 students.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Groupie

In second grade at our school we have the kids work 50 problems in 2 1/2 minutes. They have to get a score of 90% or higher twice in a row to be a math facts master =)
Old 04-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitt View Post
The one thing I do like about timed tests is that kids start to think in their heads instead of drawings or fingers.

Also need to keep in mind that some kids simply cannot write as fast as others even when they know the answers.

I start the year with timed tests only for the family of...
2+1=3
1+2=3
3-1-2
3-2=1

Then I move on to the 4+1=5 family but leave the 2+1=3 family mixed in. then 5 +1, 6+1, 7+1, 8+1, 9+1, then anything plus zero.

September +1
October +2
November +3
December +4
January +5
Feb +6
Mar +7
Apr +8
May +9

It works for me for 8 of 10 students.
Do you also teach subtraction and both operations with double digits with and with out regrouping? When I taught second (for 8 years!), I wanted kids fluent with the 'basic facts' by January/February.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
I'm loving xtra math!!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 PM
Phenom

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbball View Post
I'm loving xtra math!!
Isn't it amazing?! For some reason, my students are really motivated by the paper certificate I print off of the computer when they master their facts (only 2 have so far).
Old 05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Groupie

Wisconsin
Primary Elementary Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
Do you also teach subtraction and both operations with double digits with and with out regrouping? When I taught second (for 8 years!), I wanted kids fluent with the 'basic facts' by January/February.
Yes, and although I would like them fluent in math facts eariler, it has not been a realistic expectation for my students.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Enthusiast

Midwest
3rd Grade--Lutheran School
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivingPigeon View Post
Isn't it amazing?! For some reason, my students are really motivated by the paper certificate I print off of the computer when they master their facts (only 2 have so far).
Mine love them, too! I have 3 kiddos who have mastered all four operations and have moved on to doing them with a 2-second timer. The majority are at 80% or higher mastery for x facts, with only a few struggling students around 50%. I can't wait to start using it at the beginning of the year next year!

Tags
facts, math, tests, timed