A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Student Teacher
Trying to find an activity for "Reforming the Industrial Revolution"

I am student teaching at the moment and have a lack of activities in my tool box are there any activities anyone can suggest for teaching the reform movements during the industrial revolution.

We just discussed factory and living conditions and its the perfect segway but I can't seem to be able to find an activity that will help break the ice or sum up the lesson.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:03 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
What have you been Googling?
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Rookie

Wisconsin
Student Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherGroupie View Post
What have you been Googling?
I have googled "reforming the industrial world" "industrial revolution reformers" "industrial revolution reform movement" and all I seem to be getting is a bunch of PPT's which yes they do help in setting up a lecture but I could really use some sort of activity to get the students involved with the material.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Try extending your search term. When I want Web sites with animations that illustrate a point, I'll add "applet" to my search time. If you add "activity" to your search terms, it's likely to help.

A good first approach to any given topic is to Google the topic followed by "lesson plans".

It will be fairly British, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that the BBC's educational Web pages offer up something useful.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Habitué

Pennsylvania
High School English Teacher
Padawan - Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol/Scrooge" in response to the industrial revolution. (Not forgetting your fellow man while the industrial revolution is contributing to a booming economy in England) While it may be out of place in April/May, maybe you could tie it in to what your teaching and conclude with a "Christmas in May" activity? Could be fun!

Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 AM
Habitué

New England
High School English and Philosophy
Marx and Engels. Why not go right to the heart of the matter?
Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Groupie

California
Social Studies
I've got a bunch of topic-neutral history assignments on my website at www.mrroughton.com. Any number of them could be adapted to fit your topic. I'd recommend first looking at the profiler stuff for this topic in particular.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Habitué

New England
High School English and Philosophy
I'm serious about Engels: see his The Condition of the Working Class in England for vivid and insightful descriptions of the costs of industrialization. There used to be a selection in Norton's Anthology, but in more recent editions have probably replaced it with some stupid homage to Margaret Dumont or something.

Followup:Yeah; it's online. See "The Industrial Proletariat" and especially "The Great Towns" (about Manchester).
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Fanatic

Pennsylvania
High School Teacher
Try docsteach.org and search for industrial revolution. There may be activities already created on the topic, or you can use the archives database of docs and pictures to create your own activity.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Novice

Missouri
Have them become factory workers and make a product..something cheap and maybe silly but an assembly line kind of thing. Like putting together beads on a necklace or something simple and each person has one thing to do...Maybe not just a thought..it involves them and maybe help them remember what the industrial revolution was all about.

Tags
activity, find