A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Paraprofessionals

Old 01-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Rookie

Ca
Pink slipped gal!
Frustrated paraprofessional...need advice.

Hello all! I am new to the forum. I've been a paraprofessional for almost 6 years. I work at a great school and I love my job! I work with great teachers, staff, and students. I am pretty lucky and I am grateful for my job. Throughout this time I have been taking course work towards being a teacher. I have a bachelor's degree in liberal studies with an option in art. I have passed the CBEST and I am enrolled in the multiple subject teacher credential program at Cal State Dominguez Hills.

Here are my issues: (1) My program won't let me move on to the next phase towards my credential unless I can pass one more section of the CSET. I took Subtest 1 in November and didn't pass by 4 points. (2) Another issue is my financial situation is getting tight. My salary from my job is not cutting it. I can't always afford to register for the $96 CSET test. I basically lose a semester.

Holidays just passed and we had 3 weeks off with no pay. My January paycheck is going to be horrid.

I am starting to become really frustrated and it's hard to keep the hope.There are hardly any teaching jobs in the Los Angeles area anyway. I've been looking into other options and fields still in education but not teaching. I've applied to some positions at museums in their education departments.

I don't know what to do. I love teaching and the field of education but I am financially struggling and I'd like to have a good paying job soon or at least do something and get paid for having my BA. Luckily, I'm young and still live with my parents but I do pay all my own bills (car, cell, insurance,school, books etc.) Even though I don't pay rent I'd like to be more independent; have my own place, etc.

Any advice, opinions, or words of wisdom??

Old 01-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Even if you paid for and passed the test, would you be certified to teach without going thru student teaching and getting an Ed degree?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Rookie

Ca
Pink slipped gal!
Most all the teaching positions I've seen in my area require a multiple subject credential.

I've been looking into other places to uses my degree. Still related to education but non-teaching positions.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
I'm trying to understand...by passing these tests you'll be certified to teach multiple subjects even though you don't have an Ed degree and didn't student teach?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Rookie

Ca
Pink slipped gal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by czacza View Post
I'm trying to understand...by passing these tests you'll be certified to teach multiple subjects even though you don't have an Ed degree and didn't student teach?
In order for me to teach I need to (1) Pass the CSET (2) finish my courses, and (3) student teach. Sorry if I wasn't clear

My degree is in liberal studies, which is what you need to major in as an undergrad if you're planning on becoming a teacher. At least that is how it is where I went to school at.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Got it. Can you finish the courses before taking the test? You've still got quite a bit to do towards certification...could you pick up a part time job to help with expense while you finish everything!
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Rookie

Ca
Pink slipped gal!
That's a great idea but working from 8am-2:30pm and then going to school from 4pm-10pm there really isn't time for another part time job.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Multitudinous

Can you take out a larger student loan or a small personal loan from your bank?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Ca
Pink slipped gal!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar753 View Post
Can you take out a larger student loan or a small personal loan from your bank?
Thank you, yes I'm going to look into that.

I was also wondering what other fields could I go into with my liberal studies degree.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Novice

Substitute Teacher
If this is your plan keep plugging. Times are hard and switching directions right now might just make it worse.

Keep your eyes open for other, higher paying positions which might interest you. A liberal arts degree is not worth much by itself but you could probably get a higher paid secretarial position using such a degree, assuming you have great Excel and typing skills.

You can also be creative and make extra money using eBay or other less traditional outlets.

Tags
advice, frustrated, paraprofessionalneed