A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Student & Preservice Teachers

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Novice

Kansas
High School Teacher
Grand Canyon University student in Kansas

I am student at Grand Canyon University getting my degree in Secondary education for mathematics. I am in the student teaching portion of my schooling but I have not yet been placed. I am extremely stressed about finding a placement and also being able to complete my assignments on time. I have felt ignored by GCU at time and lied to at other times. In talking to my Field Experience supervisor today about options for placement she kept mentioning schools that she had placed students or had tried to place them and I was surprised at how many Kansans were in this program.

I feel like I need a support group. So I am asking for any GCU students that would like to share stories or help each other through contact me on here.

I would really just like to hear of someone that has been placed or that has gotten a Kansas License with this degree.

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Companion

Kansas
Why are you nervous about placement? Do you have your student teaching license from Kansas? If you have serious concerns you can call KSDE (Kansas State Dept of Education) and ask a licensure representative if they accept Grand Canyon degrees because if they do not, no matter what the school tells you, you would be out of luck.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Novice

Kansas
High School Teacher
Everything ended up working out and I am now teaching in my second year.

The problem was that they seemed reluctant to place me at any school that was public. After my top 3 schools were rejected I gave them a list of 20 more and they ended up coming back with a private christian school that I hadn't listed. I said yes but it fell through and then they placed me at a catholic school.

My first day of student teaching was the last day I could have started and still completed the required 8 weeks of teaching. One day later and I would have had to wait until the Fall to try and find a placement again.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Groupie

NJ
Middle School Teacher
Now I know what grad school to avoid. I never heard of having trouble with student teaching placement. And they probably only place in private schools.

Tags
canyon, grand, kansas, student, university