A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Interests > Substitute Teachers

Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Utah
High School Teacher
Long Term Sub

Hello!

I will be leaving during the middle of next week for maternity leave and will be out the rest of the year.

I teach tenth grade World Civilization and AP U.S. History. For my AP classes, I already have everything planned and copied for the rest of the year. For World Civilization, I have the first three weeks planned. By planned, I mean every minute of the schedule is outlined.

I was lucky enough to have a one day orientation with my sub where she was able to observe my teaching style and the overall procedures of my classroom. She taught history at the local middle school last year and she seems like a great teacher.

Here is my question for those of you who have completed long term sub assignments (especially in Social Studies):

Did the teacher leave detailed lesson plans for all six weeks of maternity leave or did he/she leave a few weeks worth and then an outline of what should be covered each day? I have already prepared a detailed schedule and she took a textbook to look over during the next week.

Would it be out of the ordinary to let her plan the lessons over the last two weeks or so?

If you could answer my question and give me any other advice about planning for the substitute, I would really appreciate it!

ThankS!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
You have left more than enough for your long term sub. They are usually expected to plan, grade, etc---everything that a teacher does. However, I would ask this question to either your principal or your sub coordinator.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Novice

Mn
Substitute Teacher
You know her and her background. I am almost done with a maternity leave and it was planned every day. I was very thankful for that as my license is ECSE birh-6 and this was 8th grade ILA. I don't really know why they even asked me, but they did. I did figure out how it was leagle though. Apparently they just have to lay you off very so many days in the evening and rehire you the next morning and you are leagle to sub again. I am hired as a day to day sub getting day to day pay. Does your sub meet with a team that will advise him/her? Is your team helpful?

The planning this teacher put in was great. I didn't apply, I got a phone call the Friday befor and started the following Wednesday.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Habitué

US
I'm on a long term assignment right now that is four months long. The teacher left plans through most of the first month, a brief outline for the second, and I'm on my own for the last two. Honestly, I'm fine either way, because I have experience writing lessons for the grade level (this is pre-k). I don't have experience in your grade level to really give you adequate advice as to what to do. I'd say either talk to her to ask what she'd prefer, or just do what you can and tell her if she has some flexibility in case she has ideas about what she'd like to do.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Devotee

If you have last year's plan book, I think leaving that can give the LTS a blueprint with which to go by.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Newcomer

North Carolina
Substitute Teacher
I'm about to start my first long term sub position for a teacher on maternity leave. She has left me only material to work from, no plans whatsoever. I'd honestly love to be walking into a classroom on Monday knowing my day is mapped out for me!
You've done more than necessary but I'm sure your sub will really appreciate it!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:12 PM
Companion

Texas
3rd grade math teacher
At the very least make sure your sub has access to the district curriculum, so they have a guide to go from.

Tags
long, term