A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Sixth Grade

Old 04-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Trouble with 6th grade topics

I'm teaching 6th grade science and I gotta say the topics are really boring. I do my best to make it interesting because if I'm not interested, I know the kids won't be! I teach out of a Florida Science Fusion book (if anyone happens to be using them).

The trouble I have is it seems that the topics are scattered and don't really flow with each other. The chapter I'm on right now talks about, for 2 paragraphs each, what a mountain, glacier, lake, river, delta, coastline and dune are. I would hate to stand in front of the class and lecture about each one of those, but no one in itself is long enough to take up a whole class (I usually lecture 15 min or so with notes, then give activity) which is 80 minutes. The whole book seems to be laid out this way and I've already over used individual research, groups that teach each topic, flipbooks on the sections, vocab blocks for each section (for instance they take dune and write definition, related words, picture and use it in a sentence), etc.

Any other ideas you could give me? I'm used to books that are like one whole chapter on gravity or osmosis or energy. Not this random learn all these different features things.

Maybe I could do it by introducing maps? But not all those things are even on maps!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Habitué

Maine
High School Life Science
How about introducing long-term projects for each unit to get kids really involved in a topic of their choice?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrisophilist View Post
How about introducing long-term projects for each unit to get kids really involved in a topic of their choice?
I like that idea, but I don't really understand. This unit I've been working on since Feb (beginning of school) is chemical and physical weathering, erosion (like 7 different types), river parts, and now different land forms. I had them do research on land forms created by erosion and do a project on that. Is there a way to extend that?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
Maybe have the create a country and they need to make a map showing each of these landforms...how they would best position them for their citizens. Then they could defend their choices in a presentation.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Connoisseur

USA
Science
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
Maybe have the create a country and they need to make a map showing each of these landforms...how they would best position them for their citizens. Then they could defend their choices in a presentation.
What an awesome idea!!! LOVE IT! Thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
No problem! Good luck.

Tags
6th, grade, topics, trouble