A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Middle School / Junior High

Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Habitué

Pennsylvania
High School English Teacher
Yes, I do.

In fact, we get the photographs for our yearbook from the local post office bulletin board.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Habitué

USA
Middle School ELA (6th grade)
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the PMs!

I'm having a hard time with the disrespect (talking back) --

Me: Stop singing, Joshua.
Joshua: I'm not singing; I'm humming!

OR

Me: Turn around in your seat, Jennifer.
Jennifer: You are ALWAYS picking on me!

OR

Me: Davina, please stop talking!
Davina: You always bothering me... everyone ELSE is talking!

OR

Me (to Terrance, whose shirt is untucked and his shorts are showing b/c he is sagging): Terrance, tuck in your shirt.
Terrance: My shirt IS tucked in!
OR Terrance: Man! You never tell HIM to tuch in his shirt!

I have no replies for this sort of stuff and, seriously, I'm near my wits' end! I would say that 80% of the time I re-direct or correct someone, I get back-talk like this.

Another issue is the dang GUM! SPIT IT OUT, for cryin' out loud! They go to the trash can, stand there, bend over, hide the gum in their mouth, and go back to their seat where they start chewing it again. I had one girl the other day tell me I was wasting her money by telling her to throw out her gum. The next day, she had gum again and when I told her to throw it out... she told me NO.

Yes, I know the "pick your battles" thing but GUM IS NOT ALLOWED in class. I have found all sorts of chewed up gum under desks or in seats.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Fanatic

Central Valley of California
High School English (Alt. Ed.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonyMS View Post
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate the PMs!

I'm having a hard time with the disrespect (talking back) --

response: well, stop!
OR

Me: Turn around in your seat, Jennifer.
Jennifer: You are ALWAYS picking on me!

Instead of calling on her out loud, I would walk up to her and tell her privately. Or, what I like even more because it requires less effort: "Can I please have everyone sit forward, with your knees under your desk? Thank you"

Me: Davina, please stop talking!
Davina: You always bothering me... everyone ELSE is talking!
again, I would either ask her privately, or announce "everyone needs to work without talking please!" or 'voices are off"
OR

Me (to Terrance, whose shirt is untucked and his shorts are showing b/c he is sagging): Terrance, tuck in your shirt.
Terrance: My shirt IS tucked in!
OR Terrance: Man! You never tell HIM to tuch in his shirt!

again, I would handle this privately

I have no replies for this sort of stuff and, seriously, I'm near my wits' end! I would say that 80% of the time I re-direct or correct someone, I get back-talk like this.

I was always told to not call on students' names to reprimand them, because they will likely to talk back to save face or because they're embarrassed. If you walk up to them and do it privately, this won't occur. Or if you don't feel like walking up and down, because you have a few students to address, just address the whole class, but without names.

Another issue is the dang GUM! SPIT IT OUT, for cryin' out loud! They go to the trash can, stand there, bend over, hide the gum in their mouth, and go back to their seat where they start chewing it again. I had one girl the other day tell me I was wasting her money by telling her to throw out her gum. The next day, she had gum again and when I told her to throw it out... she told me NO.

Yes, I know the "pick your battles" thing but GUM IS NOT ALLOWED in class. I have found all sorts of chewed up gum under desks or in seats.
Let the class know before they enter classroom that gum is not allowed. Make sure they hear you and understand it. The first kid you catch with gunm, have him/her spit it out, then write a detention. You might have a few more right away trying to stash it, which should be fine. After that the gum incident should die down.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Cohort

Pa.
7th/8th Grade teacher
Me too. I teach in a low-income neighborhood. The children can be challenging, but kindness and rewards go a long way to earning their trust - that and coming in every day. It's really the principal who's the problem at my school. He's a bully.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Habitué

Quote:
I get this often from some of my eighth graders. They always have a retort or try to place blame elsewhere when they are corrected. I don't see that as disrespect so much as immaturity. Sometimes I say something silly (but in a stern, no nonsense voice) such as "I don't care if your dangling off the side of the Empire State Building...cut it out". Usually that disarms them and they stop. Or I tell them to take responsibility for their actions by prompting them to use their "sorry" statement, which we practice throughout the year. They simply say "Sorry Ms. BumbleB, I'll try harder next time" and then we drop it. If their behavior continues, that's when I will either pull them into the hallway for a serious chat or just write them up then and there.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Habitué

USA
It's just so freakin' draining!

I do sometimes try to re-direct in private. It's just that there are so many that I literally have to walk the classroom the entire period! I am not against walking the classroom, but sometimes like to stay on one side for longer than 3 minutes!

As far as giving a 'group' prompt... it's losing its effect. I resort to the individual calling out b/c the group prompts don't work.

I'm glad I only have 24 days left.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Habitué

Quote:
It's just so freakin' draining!

I do sometimes try to re-direct in private. It's just that there are so many that I literally have to walk the classroom the entire period! I am not against walking the classroom, but sometimes like to stay on one side for longer than 3 minutes!

As far as giving a 'group' prompt... it's losing its effect. I resort to the individual calling out b/c the group prompts don't work.

I'm glad I only have 24 days left.
Have you tried some sort of positive behavior support program? Most middle schoolers are competitive, so you could put them on teams that "compete" against each other for a prize (my kids work for fast food or junk food lol). You determine what behavior is acceptable, and teams get points/tokens/tickets/whatever for their positive behavior. Then whichever team has the most at the end of a specified amount of time (you'll probably want to go to the end of the year) wins.

I'm sure other members here have some great ideas for implementing it in your classroom if you're interested. Just try to hang in there...I'm sure you're doing a great job!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM
Newcomer

Give one final warning about spitting gum out and explain from then on, if they are caught with gum, they will be serving a "gum detention." What does that consist of? Get them plastic gloves and some scrapers from the custodian and they will spend the 30 minute detention scraping the chewed gum off of the bottom of your desks. This has tremendously cut down the gum chewing at our school!
Old 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Habitué

USA
JMB - I would probably not be allowed to have students do this.

BumbleB - we are not allowed to give the students any food!! G-r-r-r... we actually do a school-wide PBIS system where we give the kids COINS for positive behavior. I have an issue with this system, but try to do it. The problem is that the "store" where they can turn in their items have hardly anything in it that the kids want!! What is your "sorry statement" thing of which you post?

Today, ALL my classes were actually WONDERFUL for me!!!! I did a lot of quiet re-direction with pats on the back (that really seems to do wonders for many of my kiddos!) and also hand gestures (of the legal sort, of course!).
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Habitué

Quote:
BumbleB - we are not allowed to give the students any food!! G-r-r-r... we actually do a school-wide PBIS system where we give the kids COINS for positive behavior. I have an issue with this system, but try to do it. The problem is that the "store" where they can turn in their items have hardly anything in it that the kids want!! What is your "sorry statement" thing of which you post?
I'm so glad that your strategies are working!!!

My sorry statement is something that they learn at the beginning of the year and we practice it often. I HATE when students refuse to take responsibility for their behavior and try to get into an argument with me about what they were/weren't doing. So, instead of arguing or trying to "prove" to me why they weren't doing anything wrong, I taught them to just say...."Sorry Ms. BumbleB, I'll try harder next time". And then we drop it and move on. Saying it out loud makes them realize that it's their choice to act that way and that they can make a different choice next time they are faced with that situation. I don't really know the magic behind it, but they seem to respond really well to it. They stop their undesirable behavior pretty much immediately.

Tags
rough, school, teach