A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > A to Z Teacher Stuff > Introductions

Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Rookie

Australia
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathEqualsLove View Post
I'm just finishing my student teaching in math, so I don't have any advice. But, I just wanted to say welcome! I look forward to reading the advice from others.
Thank you and we will be learning together. Keep in touch!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:38 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
I know this won't help for this year.

But I do the majority of my planning over the summer. I get a binder for each of my different preps, and plan out each of my lessons... everything from model problems to tentative homework assignements.

I also do long range planning with a chart in Microsoft Word. I give each lesson a number, a title (or "aim") and pretty much lay out the year. Of course, my plans change a bit as the year goes on, but it's a great help.

As far as the grading goes, give it some thought as you teach and make up assessments. If you ALWAYS lay out a particular problem the same way, the kids will tend to do the same. It makes it MUCH easier to just eyeball the work (particularly for the kids who get the answer correct.)
Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Guru

Southern NJ
2nd Grade Teacher
to AtoZ!

I have found that one important thing for me to do is to make a to-do list each day of a handful of things that I truly need to accomplish (no more than 5). It helps me to keep on top of things without being overwhelmed.

I agree with Alice, I like to plan as much as I can during the summer. It changes as we get new programs, our overall curriculum changes, and our schedule changes, but at least I have an idea of where I want to go. However, I also teach elementary school, so I have lots of subjects
Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
Hi and welcome!

What do you teach? And where?

Even for a newbie, 60 hours sounds like a LOT of time.
I am a math teacher in Australia. I work about 60 hours per week (including instructional time). And you’re right, it IS a lot of time!!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
I know this won't help for this year.

But I do the majority of my planning over the summer. I get a binder for each of my different preps, and plan out each of my lessons... everything from model problems to tentative homework assignements.

I also do long range planning with a chart in Microsoft Word. I give each lesson a number, a title (or "aim") and pretty much lay out the year. Of course, my plans change a bit as the year goes on, but it's a great help.

As far as the grading goes, give it some thought as you teach and make up assessments. If you ALWAYS lay out a particular problem the same way, the kids will tend to do the same. It makes it MUCH easier to just eyeball the work (particularly for the kids who get the answer correct.)
, yes, I agree with you Alice, all you mentioned are really a great help. You have given me additional idea. keep in touch!
Old 04-14-2012, 03:04 AM
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbball View Post
to AtoZ!

I have found that one important thing for me to do is to make a to-do list each day of a handful of things that I truly need to accomplish (no more than 5). It helps me to keep on top of things without being overwhelmed.

I agree with Alice, I like to plan as much as I can during the summer. It changes as we get new programs, our overall curriculum changes, and our schedule changes, but at least I have an idea of where I want to go. However, I also teach elementary school, so I have lots of subjects
Making a list prior on what to do would really put you on the right track. I agree.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:05 AM
Multitudinous

NEW YORK
Math teacher
Oh, so your school year is really just getting started?

What course(s) do you teach?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:17 AM
Newcomer

USA
Middle School Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math_Den View Post
Hi all,

I am a math teacher and spend a lot of my time marking and planning classes. I spend up to 60 hours per week doing this. I'd be interested to hear what tricks people here use to speed up their work or to save time. Thanks!
Hi,

I am a Math teacher too. I have been teaching less than 3 years and we have similar problem on how to save time marking and planning of classes, and I am also looking forward to hear what others could contribute or perhaps help to lessen this problem. Keep in touch!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Runner View Post
Hi,

I am a Math teacher too. I have been teaching less than 3 years and we have similar problem on how to save time marking and planning of classes, and I am also looking forward to hear what others could contribute or perhaps help to lessen this problem. Keep in touch!
Hi,

Where do you teach? How many hours you spend in a week?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Fanatic

Ohio
3rd Grade Teacher
I would open a new thread in General Education, and you will get a lot more responses.

Welcome!

Tags
math, teacher