A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Fanatic

Washington
Early Childhood Teacher
I agree with EDUKATEME.....if the actions are pervasive it isn't going to go away quickly with a few walks around the school to separate him from the group.

I agree that looking at your own actions as much as the childs is necessary, and perhaps you could consider increasing the choices or the interaction during circle if you thought it might help.

I think taking the other children out of the classroom is a great idea, to use as a tool during the time that you investigate what the precursors are to his behaviors. If he was already on his way to TO when you were confronted with failure to move, the issues seem to have started earlier in circle. How early? When exactly? What was going on then? What was going on right before? When do you notice that the change in attitude/behavior started? What was happening in the room, with the weather, with teachers' moods and with traffic patterns inside your room right before the mood/attitude change occurred? Is that something that needs to happen? Are there more DAP ways that what-ever-the-issue-was could be worked on? If it isn't possible to change the precursor....could you change the script for what happens between the precursor and the time out?

These charts and notes will take time, sometimes lots of time.....use that audience removal trick for the interim. It is one of my FAVORITES! But don't think it is the answer. Keep looking for the answer.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Fanatic

Somewhere in the good ole USA!
Trust me and the others who have made the suggestion...remove the other kids out of that room when he starts up. One child in particular did the same thing...she was in total control, but only for a minute. I was not going to struggle with her physically nor was I going to debate. So, one time I took the kids for a walk and the second time, my aide did and I stayed with her. Both times, when the kids returned, we asked them what they did on their walk and was it fun? Not only did this keep the others from a standoff between their classmate & teacher, but they had a good time because they displayed good habits. The one who stayed behind listened to what she missed out on. And it never happened again.
While she and I were alone, I took the opportunity to have a good little talk with her and ask her why she was doing what she was (talk really nice and don't scold) doing because she was missing out on some good fun. She really did realize what she was doing because she never did it again with me. And of course, I praise her and all others for being good listeners and having good habits.

"They may not remember what you taught them, but they'll remember how you made them feel".

Sandra
Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Comrade

Wisconsin
1st Grade Teacher
Another thing you may want to try is to ask if he can go to time out by himself, or if he would like help( and help is you or your assistant taking his hand and walking him over to the time out area). This has worked for me. Sometimes they will go alone, sometimes they want help. When they have the choice, they make an appropriate response. Even my most stubborn kids will request help once in a while, other will always go by themselves when they are given that choice.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Novice

Pennsylvania
Literacy
Interesting post. I teach older grades, but I really like the idea of giving an incentive to other students for ignoring disruptive behavior.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
I usually take the child on a walk and peek in all of the other classes. While we look, I'll say, "Look at those kids following directions, they're having so much fun!". By the time we make it back to the room, they've calmed down enough to talk to me. I just can't justify taking the kids out every time one of my three main rule breakers decide to throw a fit.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Companion

Georgia
Preschool Teacher
*all the kids, I should say.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Habitué

I've seen emptying the room work with great success during meltdowns in special ed classes. Even if they aren't performing for an audience, it gives the teacher and the child to have a nice talk without the hectic atmosphere, provide some comfort if needed, etc. It isn't a time to scold, but a time to figure out the problem and try to solve it.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Aficionado

USA
There are definitely some solid strategies for dealing with refusal to move (or refusal to comply with anything), but I think it's important to have an overall discipline plan with a clause for "insubordination." Typically, I've found that it makes the most sense for this clause to be associated with involving an administrator. That being said, once insubordination begins, there are a few things that can and should be tried. Too often, teachers jump to the step of calling someone else (e.g., admin) before trying a few other strategies, several of which were mentioned above. Another easy strategy is to acknowledge the behavior, say you're going to give the child a minute to think about what they want to do (and perhaps remind them of an upcoming consequence), then move on and positively engage the rest of the class in the lesson. Sometimes that's enough to call off the power struggle and the kid will slowly get back in line. In if backs sense, it might be appropriate to praise the child for making the right choice, which both empowers the child as well as yourself.

My only caution against things like removing the whole class is that it can really inappropriately feed the behavior if done wrong. In certain situations with more extreme behavior (e.g., 2 kids fighting) it makes a lot more sense to remove the class. However, in order to truly remove the audience from the child, you'd probably have to take the kids out of the classroom, which 1) will take a while with preschoolers, 2) give huge amounts of attention to the child while they line up and walk out (everybody will be looking at the child sitting by himself), 3) provide no guarantee that the child will stay by himself instead of walking with the class outside, 4) communicates that there really isn't an ultimate consequence present, and 5) is incredibly inefficient/disruptive. Again, I've used the strategy before, and used it successfully, but especially in settings where insubordination isn't extremely infrequent, it just may not be the best choice.

Finally, there are a lot of variables that would go into factoring which strategy to chose, many of which are highly specific to your teaching style, the child's overall behavioral profile, the specific situation, the behavioral potential of the rest of the class, etc.

Anyway, thought I'd throw in a slightly different perspective.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Maven

U.S.A.
Preschool Teacher
I like to use picture cards. When "circle time" begins, I point to the picture of the children sitting in front of the teacher, hands in lap and looking at the teacher. To make a point to the "disruptive child," I might give a colorful stamp on each good listeners hand and tell them how well they're doing.
This can be used in many instances when trying to make a point. It's amazing what children will do for a stamper.

Tags
kid, move, refuses