A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Single Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Novice

Arkansas
Praxis 86 Social Studies Content Interp

Hi, I had a couple questions about the Praxis scoring. Yesterday I took the Praxis II Social Studies Content and Interpretation test 086. There were 90 multiple choice questions and three short essay. The multiple choice account for 75% of the grade with the essay questions being 25%. I need a 153 to pass. Can anyone give me a general estimate as to what raw score percentage this comes out to? Does it equate to around a 60% or 70%? I am a little concerned I may have not passed. I knew a majority of the answers, made some educated guesses on a decent amount and completely guessed on around 8 multiple choice. I think I did decent on the essay questions. What concerns me is there was a high school history teacher at a private school taking the same test for the third time. So obviously this makes me nervous. I asked him what he used to study and he said " I was a history major". So I thought he meant he used history books. But then he said " I teach history". So I am assuming he didnít study at all ? DO some people not study for these tests? Another guy taking it also had failed it before as well missing it by one point . If I don't pass this test I won't be able to teach this fall and will have to wait until next year due to the constraints of the program I am in. Has anyone taking this test before that can offer me some insight as to how they did ? Looking for a little reassurance here. Thank you.

Old 03-11-2012, 02:32 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
I'll have to get to this later, but I will be back.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Comrade

SD
8/9 LA, World History
Bad News.

Only someone who has taken the test can help you in any way. Since this is a really new test there are no score guidelines as of yet.

The general rule of thumb on here is if you score 70% you will pass.
I think the general rule should be more along the lines of 60%. Again variables passed on state and esp. NJ.

The real numbers are usually lower then that.

Example: Middle School Science Praxis (0439)

MC Q: 62%
Essay: 22%

My score was 159.
Median Score 158.

I passed the test and passed for every state that requires the test except CT (requires 162).

CAVET: Remember this does not translate to other tests and is only good for the 0439 tests.

http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/uyps_1112.pdf
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
My apologies, soldier86: life happened.

60% MIGHT be a passing percentage on a given day for a given Praxis II, but it makes no sense to state that categorically.

For one thing, most multiple-choice question sets contain at least some questions that are "non-scoring": these are questions that are being field-tested for inclusion in future versions of the test. This means that if one gets them right, they don't help one's passing percentage - and if one gets a question like that right at the expense of skipping some "scoring" questions, one has lost some ground.

For another, it's practically impossible to write two test questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty, let alone 22 or 42. The makers of teacher tests work around this fact by including, in the algorithms that convert raw scores to scaled scores, fudge factors that noodge one question up or another down in weight.

The fact that a given history teacher has had to take this test three times could mean that it's extremely difficult, to be sure, but it could also mean either that this particular history teacher is not that well prepared, or that this particular history teacher believes he's not a very good test taker, or any of several variations on those themes.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Novice

Arkansas
Thanks for the responses. In the last couple weeks I have begun to feel much more confident about the test. I won't know my scores until the end of the week, but my "gut" tells me I passed; maybe not by much, but I really think I did pass. For those taking Socials Studies Content and Interpretation in the future, I will be more then willing to share my experience and my score. Next week I will be taking the Praxis 1. I have studied extensively for this test and I am much more confident I will pass with a high(er) score.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Sounds promising, soldier86.

Praxis I tests skills, not knowledge: any essays are real essays, but the object is not so much to write really excellently as it is to show you can state a thesis and keep to it, defend it in an organized fashion with some evidence, and show signs of a command of English grammar, mechanics, and vocabulary. In other words, channel your inner eleventh grader.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Novice

Arkansas
Well I paid the $30 go get my score for the Praxis II over the phone this morning. I needed a 153. I scored a 173. Needless to say I am happy!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Congratulations!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Comrade

SD
8/9 LA, World History
Much congrats.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Novice

Arkansas
Now that I have the official score report I thought it would be a good idea to break it down point by point so that those taking it in the future have a better idea.

So as I mentioned my score was a 173 and the passing score in Arkansas is 153 for 0086 Social Studies Content and Interp.

United States History 12/18
World History 13/18
Government/Civics/Political Science 14/18
Economics 8/13
Geography8/13
Behavioral Sciences 8/10
Short Content Essays 18/18

total raw points earned 81. total points available 108
81/108 = 75 percent. 173= 75 percent on this test. So logically thinking a passing score of 153 is around 55 percent.

On a side note I took the Praxis PPST this morning. I scored 182 on the reading and 184 on math which are both passing scores. Now I am just waiting on the writing scores.

Tags
content, interp, praxis, social, studies