A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Secondary Education

Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Connoisseur

California
Social Studies
I find it a joke and quite indicative of why education is so undervalued in our modern society. It's the "I should get this because of X where X equals I exist" mentality that gets you exactly nowhere in life.

I felt the same way when I was in school 14 years ago.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Habitué

New England
High School English and Philosophy
We have senior skip day, duly announced via Facebook I suppose, but it is always a failure. The seniors come to school anyway, with few exceptions. "I didn't want to get behind." or "I had a test in physics" or "My mom wouldn't let me," they say. I am blessed to work in a small nerdish enclave, behind the times, here in the hills.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Aficionado

Kentucky
Middle School Teacher
There has always been talk of senior skip day, even back when I was a student. However, nobody really ever does it. The attendance wasn't any worse than normal on "skip day". The closest we ever got was bringing notes from parents to let us check out. We'd leave, go get sandwiches from the local store, and head to the nearby state part and go hiking and swimming. We didn't really ever miss anything because it was the last week of school. The grades were already turned in, and there weren't any finals.

I figure that if they are old enough to make that decision, they are old enough to face any consequences.

Normally our seniors are all old enough to check themselves out of school. (They don't have to have a parent note from 18 or older.) I graduated at 17, so I had to have a parent note.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Novice

Arizona
Student Teacher
At my high school senior ditch day was the Monday after prom. It might change once I become a real teacher, but I don't really have a problem with them ditching one day of school.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
In my school, we encourage parents to call in because if they don't,then they lose 3 points off their term grade.
We're fine with them skipping one day as a class, but I get worried with multiple absences from seniors.

Tags
day, feel, senior, skip