A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Subjects > P.E. Teachers

Old 03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Newcomer

Chicago, IL
P.E. Teacher
SPORTS DAYS????

Hi,

Can you help me, we run a sports day for our elementary and middle school pupils every year. We change the format depending on the age group.

Does your school have a sports day of any kind? If so, how do you run it and what format do you use??

Our principal wants to scrap ours based on the notion that "No American Schools' have sports days!

HELP PLEASE!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Multitudinous

USA
Kindergarten Teacher
We have a field day which is a day of sports and activities. Usually we have a bunch of activities for the students and they rotate through the different games.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Phenom

Midwest
Like mopar... field day where the kids rotate through...
Obstacle course, how many times you jump rope in a min, softball throw, three legged race, balloon toss, 100 yd sprint, a relay sprint, a tug of war, long jump.

I can't remember the others.... I think it's a fun day to spend half the day outside with the students. Usually the school has a theme and you make shirts or signs... fun to do as a team before they move on.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Companion

Central Ohio
1st yr teacher... 3rd grade
we did this all through my schooling in england. In primary school we rotated through all the activities with every kid doing every event.
In high school we had different students doing different events. I am pretty sure that every student who wanted to do something was given an event. I know that this was one of the most anticipated days for the students!!!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Fanatic

Louisiana
When I taught elementary, we had field day. In the morning, students had events and each class participated. In the afternoon, it was like a carnival. The parents all came and there were bounce houses, carnival games, etc.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Connoisseur

MA
High School Math Teacher
Relay races are always fun!!
Old 03-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Newcomer

Michigan, USA
P.E. Teacher
We have a "fun & fitness" day. Our entire building 3rd - 6th grade, approximately 400 students, rotate through 19 events. This lasts an entire day with a break only for lunch. We stress that not only are we having fun, but we are keeping fit also. I divide the students into multi grade level groups and the other teachers man a station. I usually get volunteers from the high school to come over and help fill water buckets and run errands. We have about half of our activities with water so I send out a letter to the parents notifying them that their student will be coming home wet and dirty!!!! Kids have a blast! This takes the "sports" out of the day so that all feel like they can participate.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM

Florida
We had a field day and it was so much fun. We split the 80 or so elementary/middle kids into multi-age teams. The oldest students could help the youngest. Some of the games were:

water balloon toss
egg on spoon race
sit on a balloon and pop it
3-legged race
soccer shootout
amoeba race
over-under race with water balloon
basketball shoot
cheers (judged by principal)
brain games inside during the lunch break at mid-day

I'm in Florida, so the water games were the best.

We had ice pops at the end of the day, breaks and lunch in between.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Connoisseur

Florida
I have held a field day for the last 30 years at my school(s).
I had one Friday and will have another at my other school this
Friday. I have about 4 fun events for my K-1 kids and have 10 events for my 2nd- 5th. They can choose five different ones to compete in. I give out ribbons for three places in each event. Each event has four categories. 8/9 boys 8/9 girls 10/11 boys and 10/11 girls. MANY kids win ribbons and I even have a bike race after lunch. My kids seem to like it and the teachers like running their individual events.

Tags
days, sports