A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Special Subjects > Music Teachers

Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Rookie

Victoria
Question Help Me Please

Hi, I have just started as an art teacher in the junior ear levels at my first teaching job. The school has decided that Art and music are similar and have decided that one da a week I will help the music teacher out by taking the music classes for Preps (ages 4-5-6) first year at school.

I have absolutly no idea what I am doing, with not a musical bone in my body.

The music teacher just saw me for a moment, gave me a box of simple instruments, half of which i can not name, a Peter Coombes C.D. and said have fun.

M first lesson is tomorrow, musical statues, and 'guess if the noise is high or low', maybe a song from the C.D. .....where I go after this I have no idea.

Lesson idea's, Suggestions, links, advice, anything please, which might help me please!!

Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
Multitudinous

New Jersey
Grade 3
Can you play music and have students sketch what they envision?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Aficionado

Nebraska
ELL
The beginning of Fantasia talks about high and low sounds. It also shows them with lines. Maybe you could could que the video to this portion and show it as part of the introduction to the idea of high and low sounds? Then maybe let the kids play/investigate some of the instruments?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Comrade

USA
Go hit up the librarian for books. There are a TON of books that have simple songs that go with them.

Rhythm sticks (or simply clapping if they can't handle not beating each other with the sticks) Put on a song, and have them echo rhythms you do first. Make them simple and make sure you have a hand gesture for rests. You'll need to prep them for this and have demonstrate what NOT to do with the sticks if you don't want any sword fighting.

The hokey-pokey (I'm dead serious) or any of the songs like that. Anything to get them up and moving like that.

See if you can find a good "greeting song" I went in for my sister once and her kids had like a "nice to meet you" song they sang at the beginning of EVERY class.

That's all I can think of right now. I let you know if I remember anything else.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Connoisseur

Pre-K
Google for help!
You'd be amazed at all the info you'll get.
Rebel1
Old 04-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Newcomer

YouTube - your best friend at the moment!

Search for a few beginner's/children music tutorial videos, and repeat the exact steps on class - problem solved!