A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Preschool

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Companion

Northern California
Preschool teacher
ECE units--please help

Hi there. I have my B.A. Degree in Child Development and a multiple subject teaching credential. I have applied to multiple preschool positions. I have been asked how many ECE units I have, and quite honestly I do not know. Can anyone tell me how to find out what classes I have taken qualify as ECE? I'm assuming I have at least some, as I majored in child development!

Thanks!!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
It sounds like they are checking to see if you have enough to qualify for a child care position. If you remind them that you have a degree in ECE, they should accept that.

I am an evaluator for the Oregon Registry, and we take at face value any college credit in ECE or Human Development. There are other classes that qualifiy, but you should not have to prove any, as you have the ECE degree.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Companion

Northern California
Preschool teacher
Thank you so much Blue!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Comrade

Midwest
Early Childhood Teacher
Blue, that's pleasant. I had a DCFS worker ask me "What makes you qualified to be a director?" Me: "I have a Masters in Early Childhood Education..." DCFS Worker: "How does that make you qualified?" Huh?? All this for just filling in while my director was out.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Groupie

New Hampshire
The DCFS worker is probably going on the premise that havng a masters in ECE means you are qualified to be a very good teacher, however being a director requires more than being an expert in child development and ECE-- it also requires a massive amount of administration--perhaps she is wondering what qualifies you to run a center and handle all the administration responsibilities since most directors don't do much in the actual classroom--
Old 02-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Devotee

California
Early Childhood Teacher
Dragonfly-

California requires you complete 12 Early Childhood Educatiion Units to be a Preschool Teacher. 9 of the units are specific courses
3 units of Child Growth and Development
3 units of Child, Family and Community
3 units of Early Childhood Curriculum
3 units of other Early Childhood related courses.

More than likely, you already have 9 of the 12 units through the courses you took for your credential. Get a copy of your transcript and highlight the related classes. You will be required to submit your transcript and complete paperwork indicating where you completed the classes once you are hired.

Most Child Development majors are missing the Child, Family, and Community course as it is really specific. You can take this at many community colleges (some offer it on-line).

You can be hired as a Teacher if you have 9 units and are currently working on the last course.

Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Aficionado

OREGON
Beverly! How funny. I do know that in Oregon you have to have been specifically trained by the director on the uniqueness of your center to be acting director. But, it could be considered an insult on all your hard work.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:50 PM
Companion

California
1st Grade Teacher
Hi Dragonfly... well I also have a multiple subject (transferred out of state). I assume then that you did student teaching and took methods courses?

In my situation, I just needed 2 courses.... I took two of the ones mentioned by someone else but I heard somewhere else it could of really been any 2... I had student teaching in kindergarten, and if you did too... and can get a letter from the university verifying that, then it counts as a course AND "supervised" experience. Based on that I got a site supervisor permit. With a permit you can work at Title 5 locations (those receiving federal money).

It would be worth it to submit your application and have them look over it. They won't tell you if any of your classes qualify without giving them money. Generally though, it's courses that begin with "ECE" or "CD" (child development).

Okay I cut and pasted this from their website:
http://www.ctc.ca.gov/help/CDP/teacher.html

"I hold a Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. What courses would I need in addition to my credential that would allow me to teach preschool?
To qualify for the Site Supervisor Permit under Option 4, you will need to verify the completion of six semester units (of the 12 required) in Early Childhood Education. Your elementary student teaching will meet the supervised field experience requirement. Completing an elementary teacher preparation program also qualifies you for the School-Age Emphasis, so be sure to request this on your application form"

They don't tell you here that the student teaching has to be kindergarten (students 5 and below). They accept 1 class (25%) of school-age methods towards the 4 needed. Actually I'm pretty sure the student teaching itself counted as another class too.

Not even the advisors at the college I got the courses from had heard of this.

I hope thats helpful, you can send me a message if you want more info.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzenna View Post
Dragonfly-

California requires you complete 12 Early Childhood Educatiion Units to be a Preschool Teacher. 9 of the units are specific courses
3 units of Child Growth and Development
3 units of Child, Family and Community
3 units of Early Childhood Curriculum
3 units of other Early Childhood related courses.

More than likely, you already have 9 of the 12 units through the courses you took for your credential. Get a copy of your transcript and highlight the related classes. You will be required to submit your transcript and complete paperwork indicating where you completed the classes once you are hired.

Most Child Development majors are missing the Child, Family, and Community course as it is really specific. You can take this at many community colleges (some offer it on-line).

You can be hired as a Teacher if you have 9 units and are currently working on the last course.

Good Luck!
Hello Dzenna! If you don't mind I have some questions for you about the ECE credits. I just got done with my AA degree in Paraprofessional Education and I am continuing my BA in English. I have been searching for jobs in Preschool-3rd grade. I just want to get my foot in the door. The ECE credits is what everyone seems to be looking for. I would think my degree would cover that, but I am not sure. Would any of these classes count: Classroom Instruction, Intro to the Exceptional Learner, Child Development, Classroom Management, Teaching as a profession, Diversity in the Classroom, Intro to Behavioral Science?? Please help or maybe tell me where I can get help.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Groupie

WA
Primary Elementary Teacher
It depends on your college.
I, too, am a Child Development Major but none of my classes were also classes I took for my ECE minor. 2 completely different sets of classes.

Tags
ece, unitsplease