A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > General Education

Old 10-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Computer Teacher
Calling All Smartboard Users...

I just got a new Dell laptop for the computer lab. The problem is that when it is connected to the ceiling mounted projector (also Dell) which flips the image so that it is rightside up, the smart notebook software doesn't work properly. If I have the projector on the table sitting upright and projecting normally, the software works. Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas about how to solve this?

Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Comrade

Florida
5th Grade Teacher
Do you have to flip the image on your computer? I had an "upside down" projector for a little while and I would have to put the image upside down on my laptop for it to show right side up on the Smartboard. Not sure if this helps!!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Cohort

Midwest
Computer Teacher
Interesting thought. I'll test this out tomorrow. I'm willing to try anything. I just want my smartboard to work again!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Way down south in Dixie!
Was PreK SPE, now HS SPE.
try Ctrl+Atl+the down key
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM
Devotee

Tennessee, USA
High School Math
You said it doesn't work, but haven't described what it's doing or not doing. Is it that the image is flipped upside down or does the smart board not work at all?

If the image is flipped, use the remote on the projector and go to the menu screen for the projector. There should be options there for flipping the image. You can change the image settings on some laptops, but that will also flip the image on your laptop screen.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Cohort

Midwest
Computer Teacher
When the projector is on the ceiling (upside down) but the image is flipped so it looks correct when looking at it the markers don't write properly. If I try to write a straight line it looks like a zig zag. I have tried to orient the board and that doesn't help. If the projector is right side up and projecting so you can see the image correctly the markers work just fine. The markers work fine if the projector is upside down and the image is upside down which is why I think it has something to do with flipping the image.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Cohort

Midwest
Computer Teacher
Woohoo! I got to school and tried flipping the image on the laptop instead of the projector as MsDeb suggested and it worked. My new laptop actually has two settings...one for flipping the external monitor (the projector) and one for flipping the laptop screen. This is even better because my laptop screen is still facing the right direction so I can use it easily. for the help!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Comrade

Florida
5th Grade Teacher
So glad it helped!!

Tags
calling, smartboard, users