A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Second Grade

Old 06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Newcomer

Arizona
2nd Grade Teacher
back to school packet????

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookie View Post
I am sending you a pm...I am so excited to see your ideas!!
I know this was posted years ago, but do you still have the packet?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Rookie

Missouri
2nd Grade Teacher
Chrysanthemum

We also start with Chrysanthemum - I make a copy of the book cover on paper then the students pass it around as I read - every time someone says/ does something hurtful in the book, the person holding the paper crinkles it up - then passes it to the next person who repeats the process. When someone does/ says something nice in the book, the person holding the paper fixes it (especially at the end). AFter reading, we look at the paper and talk about how it has changed and how we can't really fix it - relate it to how our words/ actions can hurt and we can't ever really "fix" it when we hurt someone.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 PM
Devotee

TN
1st Grade Teacher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgirl View Post
We also start with Chrysanthemum - I make a copy of the book cover on paper then the students pass it around as I read - every time someone says/ does something hurtful in the book, the person holding the paper crinkles it up - then passes it to the next person who repeats the process. When someone does/ says something nice in the book, the person holding the paper fixes it (especially at the end). AFter reading, we look at the paper and talk about how it has changed and how we can't really fix it - relate it to how our words/ actions can hurt and we can't ever really "fix" it when we hurt someone.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Chrysanthemum!!!!! This is a great idea. I also love the idea of having the kids go home and find out where their name came from. Lots of great ideas here!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
I am so glad I stopped by this site. I got some really great ideas. I agree with the others on the handwriting sample at the beginning of the year. We did that and we did it again at the end of the year. It was placed in a portfolio (with a writing sample from the beginning, middle and end of year) for the parents at the end of the year.
I love the Chrysanthemum idea with the crinkled paper and the name research. So excited!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Companion

Texas
2nd Grade Teacher
Love all the great ideas shared here! I have a question about the first day of school...we do a "supply and say hi" night so I've already figured out how they go home,etc.
What do all of you do (activity wise) when parents are coming in and dropping off their child? Last year I gave them a piece of constriction paper and had them write their name really big and decorate it with things about themselves. Anyone have a more creative idea? It's always a stressful morning bc I'm trying to talk to the parents and make sure the kids are occupied. Especially the ones who's parents don't drop them off.

Thank you!!
Old 07-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Fanatic

Connecticut
3rd Grade Teacher
I don't have my plan book in front of me but from what I remember:

We usually start with a classmates word search (it's on their tables when they come in the room) along with first day of school coloring pages.
We also draw ourselves on the first day of first grade (the last day I give them the same sheet but it says, this is me on the last day of first grade)
I read First Day Jitters to them
We learn a first day of school poem and they put it in their poetry notebook and illustrate it.
We read the booky Wemberly Worried and share our excitement and worries about first grade. I introduce a "worries" book that I leave out in the classroom for children to record their worries in.
We do some exploring of math manipulatives
I do a school scavenger hunt.
We put our names up on the word wall and I play some word wall word games.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Companion

Ohio
Early Childhood Teacher
Really great ideas...can't wait to get back in the classroom. I read Crysanthemum too, we would discuss names, make colorful name tags cut them apart, graph the number of letters in our names and we would see what words we could make from Crysanthemum.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Companion

The Wild Wild West
5th Grade Teacher
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndTimeArnd View Post
During the first week we do our first class book about things the kids like to do. I ask 5 or 6 kids each time I have a few extra moments (don't do all at once or they'll never sit still) - "What's your favorite thing to do?" We work together (shared writing) to craft a one-sentence response, i.e. "Jasmine likes to ride her purple bike in the park." Once they're all done, I write the sentences on strips, then give one to each kid - not their own. They have to cut up the words, mix them up, then put it back together, like a puzzle, and glue it at the bottom of a 12x18-inch paper. Then they draw the other classmate doing whatever is in the sentence. Sometimes we do crayon/watercolor resist ... this is a project that takes several days (thankfully!), then I laminate and bind the pages. This is always a favorite class book all year - I think because it's the first one we do, and because it's about THEM, and they can all read it
What a GREAT idea!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Newcomer

North Carolina
2nd Grade Teacher
First Day Packet

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid205 View Post
I have a fantastic packet of "Back to School" stuff if anyone is interested. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. It's 33 pages long, so it may take a moment or two to open it up! But, it's worth it!
I would like the first day packet. This will be my 3rd year teaching anf my first year in 2nd grade. My email is : [email]EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead[/email]
Thanks,
Ashley
Old 08-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Newcomer

back to school

Hi! I am new to the website...and new to teaching second grade. I have worked with first graders, for one year, and fourth graders for two years. I would love to see the stuff you have for "back to school" but can't send you a personal message

In the past, I have used Chrysanthemum and The Kissing Hand. I have a few other "getting to know you" activities, too.

Can't wait to start connecting with everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katydid205 View Post
I have a fantastic packet of "Back to School" stuff if anyone is interested. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. It's 33 pages long, so it may take a moment or two to open it up! But, it's worth it!

Tags
1st, 2nd, activities, day, engaging, grade