A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Elementary Education

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

What is your agenda?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:48 AM

Louisiana
4th Grade Teacher
If you are simply wanting to share a possible strategy with other teachers, you've done that. I feel like you are wanting more, though. While my principal gives me a fair amount of room to try new things, we have state high-stakes tests, and the only modifications allowed there are accepted modifications for the state. New ideas aren't there yet. I have had a fair amount of training to work with true dyslexic children. I know that what works for one often doesn't work for others. I also know that, while many children may have some dyslexic tendencies, there are few truly dyslexic children. Often what is considered to be dyslexia turns out to be another processing disability. As a regular ed classroom teacher, with a pretty large inclusion group, I worry less about the actual diagnosis, and more about simply helping the child learn. I understand about being passionate about something you feel you have discovered that no one else is using, but I think your vehement postings are what has caused many to question your intent.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Rookie

Ma
High School Math Teacher
In 3rd grade I was diagnosed as borderline dyslexic. I now teach algebra & geometry in high school. I have always found it very easy to write backwards, to read upside down, and to write upside down. I used to play tricks on my husband when he was in the navy by writing him letters backwards. It comes very natural to me. This is an interesting discussion, with the exception of the ones here who are so "close minded" to trying something new.

I only read one of my assigned novels in high school. I read Jane Eyre, only because the teacher was patient, gave me extra time and was willing to work with me. My 3rd grade teacher, yelled at me for reading the wrong words. I made it through high school and college by using the short stories and synopsis. My spelling is atrocious. I have a word book that I carry everywhere with me, and share with my students, it is nothing but words, no definitions, just words. I had to figure out what helped me to get through school and I now try to share that with others.

I've had several SPED teachers in the 3 different schools admit to me that most of their courses were about ADD, ADHD and others, but little was taught about dyslexia. I've actually had one or two come to me and ask for suggestions about what they might try to do to help their dyslexic student. (I do not hide my dyslexia, I share it with my students, and fellow teachers.)

I use nothing but colored paper in my classroom, because white with black text is such a severe contrast that the letters feel like they are in motion. I have colored transparencies that I keep by my bed to read novels.

In class I only ask for volunteers to read aloud and try not to read myself. My reading has improved, but I'm still not confident in my reading ability. In class I find it very easy to read and write on the opposite side of the student. I've never thought about actually trying to read upside down, but I'll try it.

I'd give the upside down reading a chance. You never know...
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Devotee

Rhode Island
Dyslexia Tutor
Dyslexia and the Use of Upside-Down Reading and Writing

Just a quick update on the 5 students who were reading and writing everything upside-down at the beginning of the year.

All five are now reading on, or above, reading level and all five have transitioned to "right-side-up".

I've been corresponding with one of the country's foremost experts in the field of dyslexia, Dr. Dale Jordan. He has seen all of my videos and knows all the details about how and why I've been using PI reading and writing to help these kids. He is also helping me to initiate a scientific study on the use of PI reading with dyslexic students in the classroom, but I'm afraid it's going to be a long process.

Wishing everyone a Happy New Year!! ,
Teacherman
Closed Thread

Tags
defends, dyslexic, reading, teenager, upside