A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > Examinations for Teachers > Multiple Subject Tests

WARNING: According to National Evaluation Systems, Inc., the developers of the CSET and other tests, posting of actual test questions by registrants of the CSET and other tests is in violation of a contractual agreement and can result in liability by the poster for monetary damages or other legal remedies. If you have registered to take the CSET and other teacher licensing tests, review the Rules of Test Participation. All messages express the views of the author, and A to Z Teacher Stuff, LLC will not be held responsible for the content of any message.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Sounds like you need to review some math. The math described in the test framework at http://www.west.nesinc.com/PDFs/WA_FW_005_006.pdf is pretty standard elementary-teacher math - that is, the WEST-E in question is by no means the only elementary teacher test in existence that tests those concepts.

You say you took the practice test and got only two questions right. If memory serves, the practice test lists the test objective (or to be precise the MAIN test objective) that's tested for each question, in the table that gives the correct answers. Could you tell us a question that you got wrong and cite the test objective that goes with it?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Rookie

Seattle, WA
Hi There and Thank you for your response. An example of a test question that I got wrong:
A software program allows the user to construct geometric figures and the to observe how varying one length or angle affects other lengths and angles. For which of the following uses would this software program be most appropriate?
a. forming and testing conjectures
b.determining the slopes of lines
c.classifying irregular polygons
d.proving theorems and corollaries

Clearly I need to review all of the above I did print out the framework and I am in the process of alligning them with a 6th grade math book. I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Very Truly Yours,
Adriana
Old 11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
When you work through a question like that, what do you do?
Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Newcomer

WA.
Im With You!

Adriana,
I actually was the first class back in 2003 that had to take an entrance exam to get into the ed. program and then of course the first to have to take the exit exam as well. It took me 3 times for the entrance exam, I finished my degree and my student teaching and graduated and then at that time it was the Praxis...I took that twice and missed it twice by two points, I had my son and took a break and I came back to take this new test the WEST E and scored horribly! I am taking it again (only Subtest 2) in two weeks and I am praying for the best. I have bought flashcards, I have an XAM study guide that is geared towards the WEST and the Praxis and I just ordered some Core Knowledge books off of amazon...they are books that parents use when homeschooling children. This test is so broad that it is and I will repeat it is almost impossible to study for. To know and memorize K-8 content is insane. Unless you have actually taken the test it is hard to give advice to someone who is taking or about to take it...it really is a shot in the dark. The best thing you can do is brush up on your facts and dates and really concentrate on your test taking strategies. I went through the defeated stage already and now Im just ready to pass it so whatever it takes, you just have to keep taking it! Blessings and stay positive!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Rookie

Seattle, WA
Hi There, Thank you for your response. I am soooo freaked out by this entire process and frustrated I have to take the test when I already have a M.S.ED and a certified teaching certificate. I just don't know where to even start to study for this test- as you said it is very broad. I am taking the test in a few weeks as well at the Renton location. I am taking both tests...is that biting off more than I can chew? Did you pass the math exam? That is what I am most worried about. I haven't looked at natural numbers vs. rational numbers in years! I checked out a 5th grade social studies book and a sixth grade math book and I am trying to align that with the fraemwork of the test. Any advice and or help you can share would be great. Do you know anyone that has passed both subsets? Are your study guides similar to what was on the test? HELP!

Very Truly Yours,
Mary
Old 11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Telling oneself that the test is too broad to study for is, frankly, the kiss of death.

Tests like these reward test takers who know the fundamental principles and terminology in each of the domains. In the case of the question you cited above, Adriana MT, you need to know

- what the slope of a line is (on a coordinate graph, it's how steeply the line rises or falls as we move from left to right)

- what conjectures are (think of them as "guesses" in math, as opposed to theorems (which are provable) and postulates (which can't be proved but are useful), and corollaries, which are additional bits that follow from theorems and postulates

- what it takes to be an irregular polygon (three or more straight-line sides, but sides are of unequal lengths and interior angles aren't equal - a stop sign is an example of a regular polygon)

I'd recommend using the test frameworks and practice questions as sources of Really Good Terminology To Know, then using the ever-helpful Answers.com (http://www.answers.com) to look for quick workable definitions.

You could also certainly post inquiries here: there's nearly always someone wandering by who can offer help in any given elementary education subject area.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Seattle, WA
Hi There,
Thank you for sharing definitions. This is where I am hung up so to speak. Looking at words like conjectures and not knowing what they mean is what strikes fear In any case...I had started doing just what you recommended...taking words and finding meaning- or remembering what they mean I appreciate your advice and will continue to align the test framework with real examples to practice with. Wish me luck
Old 11-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Multitudinous

Calif.
In fact, I'll wish you good hunting.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Rookie

Seattle, WA
WEST E 5 & 6

Hello Fellow Test Takers,
Just took the WEST E subtests 5 ad 6 this morning. Both tests cover a broad range of material. I feel since there are no prep classes, books or study materials available for these particular sub tests- I would like to point out some areas areas for future test takers to concentrate on. I know I would have appreciated this tip! For the math, science, health/fitness...I would review geometry- know your angles, shapes, and vocabulary associated with the subject- know all the symbols as well! Know how to convert to the metric system as well as some basic algebra and stats. I don't know what to suggest to study for PE- basic anatomy and physiology are helpful- i.e. knowing how to build bones, muscle. I felt the Social Studies went beyond the scope of 6th grade. Be prepared for knowing how laws are made or vetoed, historical events and political mindsets of the different decades in America- know about the different Native American tribes and how they compare and contrast to each other culturally as well as physical location. Know differernt Geographic land features (even the more random...not often mentioned ones). I didn't feel prepared for some of the questions that really wanted you to demonstrate your knowledge of how to teach emerging readers. I wish I had paired up with a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher before taking this test. There are some straightforward punctuation questions...I would concentrate on knowing vocabulary for language arts. Whew...that is all I can think of for now. I hope this helps someone out there. I don't know how I did...will have to wait and see!
Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Multitudinous

Calif.
Thanks for this, Adriana MT. Keep us posted, please.

Tags
elementary, taking, washington, weste