A to Z Teacher Stuff ~ Teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Themes, Tips, Printables, and more
advertise
Go Back   A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums > TeacherChat Forums > Grade Specific Forums > Kindergarten

Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Novice

Canada
Kindergarten Teacher
Communication folders?

Hi!
I was wondering if any of you would share some information about communication folders... What do you use for the actual folder? What information goes in the folder every day?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:37 AM
Connoisseur

texas
Primary Elementary Teacher
We use those plastic folders with brads from Walmart.
I have a pencil pouch for transportation of notes and money (so it won't slip out!), a 9 week grading period behavior calendar, and their parent-signed behavior contract behind that. Our kinder teachers have a communication log in there too. Handouts from the office go in there as well as notes that need to be sent home and finished/"graded" classwork. I always put my personal notes from me in the zipper pouch so they won't get lost but the other handouts go in the pockets. I stress to parents to clean out folders every night because I don't have time to go through their folders and look for something I am expecting returned.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Cohort

Illinois
Preschool/Kindergarten
I use white three ring notebooks or binders. I use the one that have a clear pocket in the front , where I put a cover page that say My BEE Book and their name. Inside I also have a pencil zipper pouch that I use for notes and money. Then there is a paper explaining what the BEE Book is and how the parents should use it. Also a page that explains everything you find inside. Then I have a folder. On one side it says Left at school and the other says Right back to school. Next comes our homework pouch where I put their books to go home to read or any other work that needs to be done at home. This is a top loaded clear plastic page protector. Then comes their behavior calendar. Which I mark daily. I also keep a list of classmates and a list of their popcorn words. This year I am adding another pencil pouch to keep flash cards to practice at home.

I ask the parents to check the BEE books every night. It works well for me and the notebooks hold up better than the folders for me.

At the end of the day I help the kids put their papers in the right place and mark their calendars.

I know everyone does it a little different, just do what works for you.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Companion

Maine
2nd Grade Teacher
I just buy the 1 cent folders at Staples. I laminate them to make them last longer. I write "Return to School" on one pocket and "Keep at Home" on the other. Works great!
Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Aficionado

USA
2nd Grade Teacher
Our supply list asks for 2 folders, one of which is their take-home folder. I just put things in the folder as they come up during the day.

I also heard of a cool idea of writing "LEFT at home" on the left and "bring RIGHT back" on the right side.

Tags
communication, folders