Zumba...on QVC

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JustMe, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2013

A friend has let me borrow her Zumba gear.

I've played Zumba videos from YouTube and tried those.

I've tried along with infomercials and presentations like the QVC Today's Special Value on now.

I CANNOT MOVE LIKE THAT. As in, not even close. It's not a matter of having to modify things a bit. Or just not having that saucy-shimmy way about my moves. I just can't do them a lick. The basic side to side steps? Nope. It confuses the heck out of me and I'm very "blocky" about it. The step by step beginning guide? Nope.

So I'm just curious....anyone who really, truly can't manage to dance or move in rhythm even a little bit? Or anyone who loves it?

:dizzy:

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2013

Meh, I'm a klutz (even though I'm always asked if I am a ballerina ahahahahahahahhaha!) When I take workout classes, I choose the straightforward versions (meaning you do this move 20 times or whatever). Have you tried Tone It Up?They have TONS of videos on Youtube.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Aw, I can totally understand the ballerina thing. :)

No, but I'll check that out!

I gained a lot of weight last year (after just losing it), so I need to end this insane cycle once and for all. I've lost eleven pounds three weeks in, but I can't really feel good about losses until I've lost what I gained last year because I have "already lost" these eleven pounds not too long ago. Ugh.

Anyway, I will for sure check into that.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 15, 2013

One thing that always helps me is to make sure the instructor (dancer or whoever) stands in front of me, facing the same direction as me, not facing me.

I'm pretty coordinated and can move in just about any dance form, but put an instructor facing me, and I won't know if I'm supposed to use my left foot, right foot, go back or forward, etc.
    On TV were they facing you?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

I've tried both...they actually mentioned that during the presentation. Several videos on YouTube have the intructors turned to help, but...yeah, still nothing. They say "if you're moving, you're doing it right", but I guess I could just be silly and "play dance" for twenty minutes watching tv and accomplish the same. Somehow I feel correctly doing Zumba is more effective. ;)

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Another one, http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFit. I THINK I've done these before too, but I can't remember. But I had subscribed to it on Youtube so it must have been good enough for me to save it.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 15, 2013

Can you go and actually take a Zumba class? I don't think you would have any problems. And it's really not the same trying to do with videos. I sweat like crazy and move for 60 minutes, if I was doing it at home I would probably quit halfway through.
    I mean I've danced through being lightheaded and dizzy (30 minutes into the class) but couldn't stop, or being way out of breath, tired, etc.

You can also check out Zumba tutorials on youtube, they show you the basic steps, they would probably help. Google Zumba + any of the following: salsa, merengue, cumbia, and see what else also comes up.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Oh, no-no-no. No public exercise. Ever. But thanks for the suggestion. It would be good as far as peer pressure to keep going, though. :)

Peachy, I'll come back to your recommendations tomorrow. I'm execising a bit, but I need to step it up.

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 15, 2013

Ah, Zumba! I "discovered" it 2 weeks ago when a colleague of mine decided to check out a class with me. We enrolled in a beginner's class and...woah. It was so difficult but FUN! Tonight is my 3rd class beginner's class and I can't wait. Honestly, I don't feel that bad when I'm making an utter fool of myself because the vast majority of my class looks the same. I'm also really glad there's no mirrors ;) I actually loved my first 2 classes so much that I found a drop-in class on Meetup and I decided to scope it out, alone. Oh. My. God. Talk about nuts!! I was 100% the worst person there - and I know that because this class DID have mirrors :lol:

But it's truly a blast. I've never attempted any aerobics class before because I'm so uncoordinated but I plan to keep up with Zumba indefinitely and I seemingly got hooked immediately. I even plan to go back to that drop-in class where I made such a fool of myself! I think you should scope out a class and just try it. Both classes I tried were really supportive and both instructors had the 'If you're moving you're doing it right" mentality.

One more thing. It's truly a workout! I'm a healthy weight, I just want to tone and get energy, but let me tell you - I am dripping in sweat (and feeling amazing!) after each class. :thumb:

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Welp, I found out my gym offers zumba classes but during the hours I work. Might be worth trying out (in the summer)...

I also looked into this studio that does yoga-ballet classes. :D

13. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 15, 2013

I have bought just about every exercise video they make and the only ones I enjoy and stay motivated are the Richard Simmons "Sweating to the Oldies".

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

I love Richard and his Oldies!

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2013

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 15, 2013

People don't believe me when I say I can't dance- but it's really true. I don't mean I dance poorly. I mean I CAN'T do it. It's like I have tone deafness but with rhythm instead. No joke, I honestly cannot find the beat to a song. I don't know how people do it or how they "hear" it. I couldn't clap to the beat of any song for a million dollars. If someone started clapping the beat of the song for me and stopped, I couldn't continue on without them. I have googled this out of curiosity and apparently someone did a study and found only one legitimate case of "rhthym-deafness." I know zumba is the new thing, but it's obviously not for me. One of my friends from work just got certified too...but obviously something I can't even do isn't going to be a good workout.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2013

Oh, water, I'm so glad someone else understands! I can't clap either. Even at say, a DMB concert, people are just kind of moving to the music...not dancing, just responding to the music if that makes sense...but it just doesn't work for me.