Zumba Dance - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Jun 6, 2010.

1. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

I saw the infomercial the other night.

They say that you can lose 1,000 calories an hour dancing.
    I have 2 left feet, so, I don't dance, but I'm willing to give it a try; anyone have the DVD?

I noticed that a few Zumba dance classes are offered here in my area.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 6, 2010

I've heard of it, never really been interested to try it myself. An old pal of mine has gotten into it & does pole dancing too. I'll stick w/ my regular gym workout for now. But, I don't doubt that it's probably fun. Try it!

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 6, 2010

My last trainer was really into Zuma-she taught a lot of classes and was always trying to get me into it. I went once, but felt too uncomfortable about my bad dancing. I think it would be much better if you had a friend or two to get a bit 'silly' with-still serious about working out, but people you can loosen up with and not worry about how you look.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 6, 2010

Do you mean Zumba? They were having classes at work but I never checked it out. I'd definitely try the DVD out before joining a class.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 6, 2010

LOL - yes, I meant Zumba; I'll try to correct that, TeacherNY; thanks for pointing that out. :love:

7. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jun 6, 2010

I was going to go for the first time tomorrow but alas, we have a tournament game to attend instead. It's only offered on Mondays so I will let you know next week.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2010

I saw that too. A few people I talked to said it really doesn't do much, but it's worth a try. Looks like fun!

9. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 6, 2010

I've been doing Zumba for about 7 years now. I started with the first DVDs in college and then started taking classes when they began being offered through Park and Rec and at the gym a couple years ago. I love it! The classes are better than the DVDs, IMO, because you get more "real" people and not just the super fit professional dancers they have on the video. ;) BUT the DVDs are definitely a good way to get introduced to it. Seriously, Zumba is all about having FUN so don't be self-conscious...honestly, no one's going to be criticizing you and as long as you're moving somehow, you're getting a workout. It is choreographed, but it's more flexible than an actual step-specific choreographed dance. If you can't do a certain move, as long as you just keep shaking your hips or something, you're fine!

The amount of calories you burn in an hour depends on how hard you work (which also depends on the instructor, some are a lot more high energy than others). I would say minimum would be 400-500 but definitely possible to do close to 1,000 if you're really workin' it!

10. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 6, 2010

I love Zumba! And believe me I'm about as coordinated as a rhino! ;) It is just fun. The first time I did the beginners DVD I couldn't believe how much I was sweating-you don't feel like you are working out at all. I've been meaning to find a class around here-I know they have them.

11. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 6, 2010

I have started taking a TapnBurn class. Oh yes - tap shoes and all! It is so fun and I am not a fan of exercise!!