Zumba anyone?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 3, 2010

I need to have some fun, and I've signed up for a class. It doesn't start until January but I want to be in shape to get in shape to do it.

Any advice?

3. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Dec 3, 2010

Love Zumba, and can't wait to get back to it after the baby is born. I asked Santa for the Zumba game for Wii Fit so I hope he brings it! My advice would be to just have fun. A lot of women are intimidated at first because they're afraid they won't be able to keep up, but that's really not the point. Even if you get to a song that's a little more difficult, just move the best you can. They always say as long as you're moving, you're working, so just do the best you can. To get in shape for it, I don't really know what you could do except maybe get in some cardio before it starts just to build up your stamina a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about it - you can always just start out doing what you can do, then build it up once you get the hang of it.

4. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Dec 3, 2010

It is so fun! I am not the most coordinated, so some of the moves/rotuines take me awhile to catch on to....but I just keep moving. I figure, even if I am jumping round like a fool, I'm still workin' it.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2010

They just started a class at the Y here, but it's only during the mornings when I'm in school. I hope to maybe catch classes while I'm on Christmas break to see if it's as good as I've heard.

6. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Dec 3, 2010

I am not coordinated either. I have found, as I start my second month, that I am actually starting to develop a sense of rhythm! I have so much fun!!! It's nice to have a workout I actually look forward to going to do!

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

I just can't make myself use the elipitical machine one more time and it's been a while since I've used it. I think I might look for a video to start practicing Zumba. I've watched a couple of the vidoes on-line and it looks like it's a blast. I know I'm going to stay on the back row for sure.

8. Major

Major Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2010

I go to the gym often, Hoot ...... sometimes 5-6 times a week. Typical workouts are about 45 minutes of weights, plus about the same amount of time for the aerobic "machines." About one time a week I will do one aerobic classes with the ladies (they tease me into doing it..:p:p). My favorite is kick boxing. I don't know if you've tried this but it is a tremendous cardio workout. (Oh yes... I'm always on the back row...... Much better view from there....:eek:)

I've seen the ladies do Zumba workouts..... and they are fun and intense. Zumba is just NOT made for 6' 4" 225 lb guys..... at least not this guy.....:lol:

I'm sure you will enjoy it.......:)

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 4, 2010

:lol: Major~we have a couple of guys that do the Turbo Kick class with us. They're always on the back row too..hmmm!!

Hoot~my turbo class teacher always warns first timers that the first time you do it, you'll be lost; the second time, you'll be lost; the third time, you start to see some familiar stuff; and the fourth time, you'll really get into it. There's a new routine every 3 months so by the end you really know what you're doing. You just have to jump in there and do it! I can't wait to try it over Christmas break. Maybe I'll get the videos that go with it afterwards.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 4, 2010

Thank you all for your responses.

Major, I don't think I could get a leg up high enough to kick anything! LOL

stg, I hope I get it by the fourth time!!!

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Dec 5, 2010

Search zumba on youtube. I made a playlist of zumba videos and put it on shuffle so I get variety. There is a gym in michigan that posts some of the best youtube zumba videos.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 5, 2010

I was going to look for them on youtube but never got around to it. I had a video on hold at the library but there ar 10 people getting it before me!

13. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Dec 5, 2010

I got my mom to get me the wii Zumba game for Christmas. I am excited to try it out.