Zoos

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jul 10, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 10, 2011

I love animals! Yesterday we went to a nearby zoo that has cougar cubs. They were being held by the zookeepers for about 5 mins before they went back in the nursery to eat etc since theyre new to being around a lot ofpeople.

Even though I love seeing animals, part of me feels sad to see them in small spaces like at this particular zoo since its nonprofit. The big city zoo is of course larger so those abimals have more room since they get public money.

How do you feel about animals who live their lives at zoos?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I like zoos too, but yes, I do feel for the animals that are caged up, but I don't dwell on it for long. Unless they shuth them all down, zoos will continue. We can think of this as those few animals that are dedicating their lives to inform, bring joy, & show their beauty to people (even though it wasn't the animals' choice).

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 10, 2011

It troubles me so I avoid zoos and circuses. As much as I'd love to see those animals, if they're not safe enough for me to go into their natural habitat (which is what I do with certain small/safe animals) then I just have to do without seeing the more wild, exotic ones though they're amazing and I'd love to see them.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

I have been on a school field trip to the zoo, but I haven't and would not go personally. And circuses are so far out of the question, professionally related or not.

Some creatures have wonderful spaces, but even those pale in comparison to their natural habitat. Yes, one could argue that in their natural world they would be preyed upon...but I believe that's an argument one makes to justify their captivity. And I do understand some animals were brought to the zoo as a means to save the creature. Whatever the case, many other creatures have horribly inadequate spaces.

I think the great majority of zoo employees love the animals in their care and many visitors also claim to love animals, but there is a difference in loving animals, supporting animal welfare, and supporting animal rights.

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2011

There are some good zoos that focus on rescued animals, like one for former circus bears in the Netherlands.

For the most part, I have no use for zoos because almost all of them give more importance to visitors and not to the animals.

How absurd is it that a zoo, supposedly supporting animals and education about animals and the environment, doesn't offer food that isn't made from animal products? I had to go to the DC zoo with visiting relatives and I couldn't eat anything there. So, yeah, go talk about how much you love animals while eating them.

Such a disconnect.

There are a lot of useful conservation and breeding and reintroduction programs, but there is so much bad that it overwhelms the good. The bottom line is that most people don't care about animal welfare, even if they think that they do.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2011

So very, very true.

I first put "loving animals" in quotation marks as seen here but I don't want to come off as rude so I removed them...but I think the term disconnect describes the situation perfectly.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I love zoos and aquariums. I'll visit them any time that I get a chance, and if I lived close to one, I'd have season passes. All of the ones I've visited also have education programs and work with rehabilitation, conservation, or breeding programs.

One of my friends just sent her daughter to zoo camp, and she loved it. She really learned a lot. I've taken several "behind the scenes" types of tours that show a lot of the things that visitors don't get to see.

I live near a reptile zoo. The are open for visitors, and they also loan animals to zoos and take them out for educational programs. Their primary purpose, however, is to collect venom for companies that make anti-venom.

Last week DH and I visited a wildlife center. They have only native plants and animals, and many of their animals are rescues. This eagle was shot by a poacher and cannot fly.

[​IMG]

I don't like carnivals or circuses. I've never even been to either of those.

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 10, 2011

I agree. I admit I love cats- I'm more a cat person than a dog person. My home city's zoo has a "cat house" with all kinds of wild cats in it. There spaces are SO small. Even the bigger ones have a little glass room and maybe a couple feet outside. Most of the smaller ones (there are a few that are about the size of a large house cat) have a tiny maybe 6x6 space. You can see them just stalking around from corner to corner repeatedly...that's all they do all day is walk the same path. You can tell they're irritated. My friend who used to work at the zoo told me that they're doing that because they've literally gone insane from living in the small space and never being able to play or run. It really makes me sad. I hate seeing them like that! Last year the school I student taught at took a field trip there and I volunteered to stay outside the cat house with some young kids that were scared. I was relieved!