Zoo-phonics

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Reuse it!, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Reuse it!

Reuse it! Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Hi all,

I am interested in hearing about your use of Zoo-phonics in a Preschool or Pre K setting. I have searched this forum and have read the previous posts regarding Zoo-phonics but I want to delve a little deeper.

I am very interested in using this for my Preschool, particuarily using the Literacy and Phonemic Awareness/Pre-Writing lesson plans but I am intrigued with the "adventure" section that integrates math, music and rhythm, psycho-motor, music instruction, social studies/social communication, science, arts and crafts, heath and grooming, and sensory experience/drama into the zoo-phonics lessons.

Does anyone use the adventure materials? If yes, can you do a quick pro/con list?

3. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 16, 2009

I enjoy Zoo-Phonics and I am really enjoying the way that it incorporates the psycho motor/bi lateral motion to the letter/sound combo. It allows my children to join much younger and more intensely that otherwise.

4. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jun 19, 2009

I've used Zoo-Phonics for 4 years with my Pre-K . I attended a one day training seminar. I used the Literacy and Phonemic Awareness portion. I used the Teacher's Manual and followed the daily activities for the first few years. The children were engaged and learned quickly.

The Pros:
    - The alphabet is presented as a whole but also highlights individual letters weekly.
    - The kids love the animals. I bought Beanie Babies for each of theme.
    - I extended the Zoo-Phonic animals into my science. The science cards are great.
    -My children recognized the alphabet letters quickly.
    -The books recommended for the literature are great. There were only one or two I didn't care for.
    -The children love the song and motions.
    -The decodable readers and blackline masters are great to send home with children who are starting to read.
    -No word walls, but consonant-vowel-consonant words

The Cons:
    -The graphics aren't so hot.
    - Some of the extras are not DAP: animal drawing, letter writing. I never used them.
    -Some if the books recommended for the literature are hard to find.

I am not a weekly theme or follow the curriculum person, but the Adventures CD has plenty of activities for daily math, health, music, and social studies. You will not lack for activities. You can use any portion of Zoo-Phonics to supplement what your currently use.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 19, 2009

I really like the fact that all the animals fit into our already science based programming. They were easier to work with for us than the pretend items like dancing noodles.

It was just a good fit for us.

6. Reuse it!

Reuse it! Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

Thank you. Your responses were insightful.

7. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I was just given a Zoo-Phonics kit, and haven't had a chance to look through it yet - but now I'm excited to! I'm moving to PreK in the fall, and I'm hoping to be able to use it! :) Especially after hearing the good feedback. This year I had Abeka book nursery curriculum, and didn't enjoy it at all - I pretty much supplemented everything and just used the bare minimum (puppets and stuff) from my curriculoum.

8. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 24, 2009

wow, i wish someone "gave" me my kit. how exciting!!!

9. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 24, 2009

i know! I'm really excited! :)