Zoo-phonics

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teachmyoung, Aug 19, 2008.

1. teachmyoung

teachmyoung Rookie

Aug 19, 2008

I teach preschool special education for 3-5 year olds. I will be beginning zoo-phonics with them next week. I noticed in the book that they introduce a different group of letter pictures/sounds each day the first week. Has anyone with special ed. children done this? I was wondering if maybe I should work on the first group the first week, then move onto the second group the second week, etc.? I'd love to hear from anyone with experience with it!

3. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

I use it for my Pre-K class, and they love it. The way I was trained was to break up lower case (they say introduce lowercase first, don't do uppercase until lower case is pretty well mastered) a-z for your week, leaving the last day as a review. Technically you are not even suppose to refer to it by name, only by sound, until they have mastered the sound. For example, if you have your class 4 total days, you would introduce 8 a day. The next day you introduce the next 8, so on. Your 4th day you go back through and review them all.
    I usually spend the next week just reviewing them all together again. The following week I break it down and start doing a letter a week with different activities for the letters.

I think it works out very well to introduce them all to them right away, because then they are exposed to all of them and will begin to see them all around them. It's amazing the way the way they just start seeing letters around them and saying "Look, that's Allie Alligators". I would stick to the book, because even special ed students will grasp onto many of them, because they are interested in animals. That's why I love the program, it's something the students love, which makes it easier for them to learn.
    Hope that helps, let me know if you need any clarification. Have you taken the training or did you just get the books? If you can take the training I highly recommend it, it is wonderful!

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Aug 20, 2008

My crew isn't SpEd, but we are unseasonably young. Since we are a mixed age crowd we have 2 all the way up to 5's all learning together. Zoo Phonics allows me to do the letters so the bigs can get it and the 2's are so at ease that they learn them as the topic floats by. Love it.

5. mrs27

mrs27 Rookie

Aug 20, 2008

Glad to hear that WAProvider. This will be the first year I have used the program for my 3-5's too. I am anxious to see how it goes, I have heard great things about it!