Zoo Babies

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by GlendaLL, Apr 1, 2009.

1. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 1, 2009

It's springtime and that means it's time for baby animals to be born at the zoo! They are all just so CUTE!

The Columbus Zoo - now rated as the #1 Zoo in America!! - recently had an addition when Phoebe, an Asian elephant gave birth to her baby. I believe the baby weighed around 300 pounds!

This website is updated regularly. Check it out if you want to smile! :)

http://www.zooborns.com/

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2009

Awww...I love the zoo! :) Df and I may actually become members of the Philly Zoo so we can go with our niece and nephews :D

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

How cute!! Could you imagine being pregnant that long!!!
    Our zoo is pretty depressing, I haven't been there in years. they are suppose to be making it better.
    Doesn't the one guy who brings the animals on the talk sows work for the Columbus Zoo?

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 1, 2009

YES!! Jack Hanna was the director of the Columbus Zoo. He did so much to promote our zoo and to make it a top quality environment for the animals.

We saw Jack Hanna at the Columbus Zoo - when there was a visiting exhibit of panda bears.

http://www.jackhanna.com/

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

Thanks, I couldn't remember his name!! I love when he brings the animals on the TV, he's so smart, and seems to really care about them.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 2, 2009

Glenda -
    I got to see the panda bears, too!

I can't convince people around here that they are wasting money going to the Cincy zoo when the Columbus zoo is just a few miles further away.

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 2, 2009

Missy - And, the Cincinnati Zoo has so many HILLS!!!

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2009

I feel a certain sadness for wild animals kept behind bars for life. :(:(

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2009

I love, love, love the Columbus zoo. I think it is amazing that people who were at the zoo the other day actually got to witness the birth of our newest elephant! (Although a friend was at the zoo at the time and didn't know it was happening and is very disappointed.) But, can you imagine seeing that? Wow!

I do realize that zoos are controversial, but the good ones are nothing like they used to be with animals merely showcased in cages. They are well cared for, in habitats much like their natural ones, and zoos (especially the one here in Columbus) do so much to educate, promote conservation, rehabilitate, etc.

11. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Apr 2, 2009

That zoo's the bomb digady! I remember going there a lot when I was a kid. One time, when I was a teenager, I took a girl on a date to the fort worth zoo...we walked past the monkey exhibit and a group of monkeys started throwing poop at us and the second bunch were...a...I think doing adult stuff. The zoo keeper tried to tell us that they were doing something else, but then one of the monkeys screamed (and ran away from the other one....LOL...made for a interesting date.

12. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 2, 2009

I understand what you are saying. It's just that I have a real passion for the outdoors, and for unrestricted freedom. At a zoo when my eyes lock onto the eyes of an animal I see deep sadness .... They almost talk to me... saying please get me out of here..:(

For similar reasons I haven't gone to a circus in decades...... IMHO I feel some animals are mistreated....

13. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Apr 2, 2009

Oh, I love zoos! Luckily, my husband shares my passion, so we try to visit the local zoo in every town we visit. We went to the Dallas Zoo and it made me cry; I will never go back there. It's an extremely popular zoo, but the animals were in very unnatural habitats - merely cages - and it made me sad. On the opposite side, we went to the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, TX a few weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. The animals have huge, open habitats (very few bars or fences, just ravines to keep them from escaping) and it seems like the animals truly enjoy their lives there.

If anyone is interested, google the Griffith Park Zoo in Los Angeles, California. It is an abandoned zoo from the 70s (I believe) that is now open for public exploration. The cages are small and pretty much entirely concrete. I'm so glad to see how far we've come since then!

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 2, 2009

Major, that is EXACTLY how I feel. These animals should never be behind bars or barriers. I hate going to zoos and refuse to go to a circus.

15. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

The Columbus Zoo is awesome--I love going. The schools in my county take field trips there every year!

The biology class at my bigh school is going in a couple of weeks for a behind the scenes insemination lesson!