Zero communication from principal

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Lindsnh, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Lindsnh

Lindsnh Companion

Oct 3, 2008

I am a first year teacher and my P has very poor communication skills. Examples:

Someone broke into our school Wed. night the next morning we had busted glass in the front office. We only knew someone broke in from the secretary b/c they stole her computer as well as a lap top and webcam that is used for visitors to check in on. On her hard drive is all the teachers personal info. The principal did not call an emergency meeting nor did he send any emails explaining details. The custodians think someone was actually hiding in the building b/c there was no forced entry except to the office..

Today a parent comes to my door here is how it went
    Parent: ms____?
    me: yes
    Parent: I wanted to show my son where is class is, and show you to him. Does he just come in here on Monday morn?
    me: no students go to the cafeteria in the mornings
    Parent: No will he come here....is his transfer stuff in order
    me: have you talked to attendance?
    Parent: No I talked to the P on Wednesday

I am clueless to what is going on so I sent her to the attendance. office
    Come to find out he was in another teacher's class and the mom wants him out...so he is now in my class. The way I found out was one of my students said "Ms. ____ Bobby is in Ms____ class why is he coming to ours?" So now Monday I am going to have to explain to the mom I was not aware of what was going on ...she prob thinks I am an idiot!

Last but not least
    We have a new way to sign in...no one was told the new way yet yesterday the new way was set up and the old way was gone! No one knew what to do!

I have a feeling we are going to have a huge turn over at the end of the school year. I have to stay for three years per my contract.
    Anybody Else's P this bad?

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 3, 2008

WOW! I am sorry you are having so much trouble. I do not have one princpial to deal alone but the princpals we have in area public schools in which I sub are GREAT! They are great princpials to there students, and great to there subs. I have yet to find one that I don't like with the exception of one male princpial. I do not dislike this male principal but I find him intemidating at times. I have know other males to be good guys and bosses but like that too. It is just something I have to personally get over. I had a male resturant manager(I worked at a coperete resturant and he was our general manager) seem intemidating. I always feel like sometimes with intemidating males in athority that they do not like me. I found out he liked me when I went to give my 2 weeks notice. He said he was sad about my leaving and (as a gift to us for working there we got a yr paid vacation ) well I was about a week or so shy of a yr and he gave it to me anyway. He kept me in the system for another 3 weeks so I could use my 2weeks notice and 1 week vacation. Also, I went in to eat after quiting with my family and did not notice he was working that day and left out the door. He chased me out the door to say hello to me. What a nice guy he turned out to be.

4. traveler

traveler Comrade

Oct 4, 2008

Yes, my P sounds like he is related to yours, He doesn't tell us if we will have a new student. They will just show up. He walks through the staff room without saying "hi". Any problem... don't talk to him about it. He will just say "Let's and wait and see what happens and talk again in a few weeks". Nothing ever gets better on its own and he will do nothing to make it better. But if you don't tlak to him about it, he yells at you later. There is no winning with him. He is the worst part of my job. I dread seeing him. isn't that awful?? Our secretary should be P. She is great and covers his butt all the time.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2008

No, my principal is great!

Like everyone else in the building (including the President, our school's equivalent of a Superintendent) he teaches. Last year it was Seniors; I'm not sure what level he has this year.

He's easy to talk to-- if my kids are sick and I need to go home, I can just go in and get it OK'd.

Over the summer, I had to call and let him know I would miss a month of school because of a mastectomy. Being me, of course I cried on the phone. He was wonderful-- kind and patient, just told me to do what I had to do and to take care of my health.

He, along with members of my husband's administration, came to my father in law's wake 60 miles from here a few weeks ago.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2008

Last year we lost our P and AP at the same time due to promotions. The P we received is a micro manager to the EXTREME!. If you look up that word in the dictionary, her picture would be sitting there right by the definition. I sooooo dislike people who don't treat teachers like the professionals they are.