ZA Endorsement...worth it?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rebecca1122, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 23, 2008

Hi there-
    I am currently an undergraduate student working toward my degree in Elementary Ed. I am considering adding a child development minor to my studies in order to obtain the Early Childhood ZA endorsement. My question is...is it worth it? Will the ZA make me more marketable...is it beneficial in the long run or to get a job initially? Any info you can provide on pros and cons of this issue would be appreciated. If anyone has the ZA and could share their thoughts/feelings on it that would be great. I am interested in mainly the lower prek-2 grades, which is one of the main reasons I think it would be helpful. Adding this minor to get certified would probably mean another semester of school so I am debating it a lot. Thanks in advance!! :help:

3. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2008

Can you explain what the ZA is? All states have their terms for their different certifications. ZA must be a Michigan certification term.

I would say that any certification above and beyond the general certification will make you more marketable. Just be sure it's actually something you want to teach, don't just add something because you can. For instance, I would need an addition to my license to teach kindergarten, but would never do it because I never want to teach K. I would, however, add a middle school math endorsement to my license because I like the older grades and I love math. Adding the K endorsement or the math endorsement would make me more marketable, but I wouldn't waste my time adding something I don't plan to ever teach.

4. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

A ZA Endorsement indicates that you have had the course work (ie my child development minor) and taken the certification test for Early childhood Education, so you have special preparation for teaching children ages birth-age 6. It's something that from what I hear is highly recommended for those wanting to teach preschool and/or K-2.

Thanks for the input...I am leaning toward doing it because those grade levels are ones I am interested in teaching!

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 24, 2008

I graduated from U of M, and a lot of my fellow student teachers were having a hard time breaking into the lower grades without their ZA endorsements. It seemed like schools were looking for them if you wanted a k-2 classroom. If it's not that much extra work, and that's the grade you think you want to teach, I would def. get it.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2008

When I was taking college courses, my advisor said if you want to teach lower el then you should have your ZA... I got my ZA because that's where I wanted to teach.

I would say it's worth it if that's where you want to be.

7. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Sep 24, 2008

I know that some of the districts require a ZA now in Michigan. I applied for a job & I was told that I had to have my ZA. At least in the metro Detroit area (Oakland, Wayne, etc.) I would say it makes you much more desired, especially if you want early El. Good Luck:)

8. frogger

frogger Devotee

Sep 24, 2008

ditto - I'm originally from MI and went to school there as well.

9. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Thank you for all the advice!
    I'm thinking it is definitely a good idea...I'm not sure if MI is where I will stay or not, but I think lower el is where I want to be so it sounds like the ZA is the thing to have!

10. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Sep 24, 2008

YEs!! I am in MI and have one. Our principal won't hire K-2 without one. It will definitly make you more marketable, if my princ were looking at you for lower el and you didn't have one, she automatically would not interview you.

Good luck!

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2008

I have a ZA endorsement. I majored with a double minor: Math (major) and minors in Social studies and early childhood (ZA). It didn't do me a lick of good. After 2 years of job hunting and only 1 interview, I packed up and moved across the country.

12. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Sep 24, 2008

Yikes! And they are always telling us...math or science major...practically guaranteed a job :eek:

Hopefully the market will be better when I graduate...although if I go for the ZA might not be for a while! Is 5 1/2 years a ridiculous amount of time to spend in school for teaching??

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2008

I was told in college that I'd have no problem getting a job. I was granted an interview in the district I went to school in. The job went to the DARE officer's daughter (who is disliked immensely by other teachers at that school).
    In Michigan, it is more who you know than what you are certified in. I have about 6 friends I speak with on at least a monthly basis who I went to college with and not a single one of them has a teaching position. The only close friend I have who got a job had a connection- her mother in law was on the hiring committee.
    My Michigan license is for K-6 with my ZA endorsement plus 6-8 math and 6-8 social studies (I took all my MTTC tests to teach middle school as well).
    I don't like sounding negative. But, I wish I would have known the reality before I spent all that time and money. I am happy now, here in North Carolina. I just miss my family.
    I guess, though, you have to get the ZA. Because people with them aren't getting jobs. To not have one would be one more strike against you.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 24, 2008

What the heck does ZA stand for?

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2008

It is Michigan's code for early education. Middle school Math is EX, MS Social studies is RX, etc...

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 24, 2008

Early education = ZA? I still don't get it, but OK. Is it just random letters?

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2008

Pretty much!

18. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 24, 2008

We use numbers. :)

19. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2008

It would still be worth having even if you don't want to stay in Michigan. YOur liscence should transfer and you would be able to teach early childhood and elementary.